Hot Flashes - Treatments

How do you manage your hot flashes?

What is the treatment for hot flashes?

There are a variety of treatments for hot flashes such as:

• hormone therapy,
  • bioidentical hormone therapy,
  • other drug treatments,
  • complementary and alternative treatments,
  • phytoestrogens,
  • black cohosh, and
  • alternative therapies.

Some of these have not been tested by clinical studies, nor are they approved by the FDA.

Return to Hot Flashes

Comment from: anywoman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Flaxseed, flaxseed, flaxseed for hot flashes! It must be ground, but you can usually find it at a store that sells bulk foods. I was having constant flashing, but after taking 1 tablespoon each morning and night, they almost disappeared altogether. I have my life back.

Comment from: Patti M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had to work outside all summer, even before summer actually started, and it was extreme heat the entire time- 100 degrees and above, about every day. I was worried I would die of heat exhaustion, since I can't drink enough water to keep up with the heat- and that was before the constant hot flashing. I learned to wet my t-shirt (wear only dark colors) years before, under similar conditions of work. Somehow it seemed to fool my body into thinking I was already flashing I guess- as long as I stayed outside in the heat, I noticed very few hot flashes. Of course, inside under the A/C with the wet clothes- cold chills, and THEN some flashes. So I can also use the wet shirt trick inside, but not sopping wet- just barely damp does the trick then. It's better than infinite hot flashes, when you're already suffering. Works for me. I was so glad to discover this, hope it helps others.

Stay Informed!