Breast Lumps (In Women) - Causes

What was the cause of your breast lumps?

Please select the black square:

What are causes of breast lumps?

There are many causes of breast lumps. Some of these causes are harmless, while others can be painful and/or dangerous. Causes of breast lumps include infections, injuries, non-cancerous growths, and cancer.

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women in the United States. Currently, death rates from breast cancer are declining. The decline in death rates may be due to a combination of earlier detection and better screening as well as improved treatments. While most breast lumps are harmless (benign), every breast lump should be evaluated by a doctor to exclude or establish a diagnosis of cancer.

Return to Breast Lumps (In Women)

Comment from: pasqually, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

In March of this year I tripped over a box of painting supplies and fell onto a plastic square box with all my weight landing on the plastic box right on the inside center of my breast. A huge lump quickly appeared. I thought nothing of it as I fully expected it to swell. Now in Sept. I noticed 2 knots small in size and hard in the same area. I am now going in for a mammogram tomorrow and I am wondering how they will be able to get close enough to the breast bone where the knots are.

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was first told I had cancer and needed a biopsy to be performed under general anesthesia so they take the breast if the lab came back with a diagnosis of cancer. I balked. A week later I went for a second mammogram and the radiologist said nothing showed up, even though something had shown on the first mammogram. The next day, I had an ultrasound and was told nothing is there, even though something was palpable by the first doctor, first and second radiologic technologists and the ultrasound technician. The radiologist and doctor came back with "fibrocystic changes in a lobular area" and said I had absolutely nothing to be concerned about.