Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

What are the symptoms of chigger bites?

A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms typically begin.

• Pronounced itching is the most common symptom.

• The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister.

• The itch is due to the presence of the stylostome and usually is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite.

• The itching persists for several days, and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to two weeks.
Return to Chiggers

Comment from: kjkrunner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had intense itching like nothing I've ever experienced. It was 35 days ago that I got the chigger bites and I still have noticeable red welts on my leg that itch occasionally. I am not sure where I got them, but the itching started a day after I was fishing at a lake, so that must have been it. I can't believe how long it is taking them to clear up.

Comment from: LT3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have tiny bites on my feet. I went shopping at a questionable store. I should not have removed my shoes! The discount was not worth the price I am paying now! The chigger bites are starting to spread. The itching is intense. Since I am a 'picker', I cannot leave them alone. Must go to the drugstore and get relief! I have heard Iodine works for these bites. Will try anything.