Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

What are the symptoms of chigger bites?

A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms typically begin.

• Pronounced itching is the most common symptom.

• The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister.

• The itch is due to the presence of the stylostome and usually is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite.

• The itching persists for several days, and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to two weeks.
Return to Chiggers

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I broke my index finger 2 months ago at work. I was thinking it was only a bruise but it never would heal and was always sensitive to touch. I was thinking I was hitting it and reinjuring it. I finally went to the doctor and it was a minor fracture in the farthest bone in my index finger. I am in a small aluminum cast to protect it and will see him again in three weeks. Hopefully it will not be irritated and will heal.

Comment from: JG0121, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

One evening I had a long sleeve shirt on and it kept itching in my forearm. It felt like a plastic tag would feel if it were still in the shirt. It irritated me so much I changed my shirt. But I also noticed when the shirt rolled over the skin it tingled. The next morning I woke to a single jolt in my forearm. My shoulder blade started having tingly skin with random nerve jolts. For 2 or 3 days I didn't say a thing but I had a good idea what was going on. My shoulder is now a 4 inch patch and I have 3 small patches down my arm. I had to remove my wedding ring because my finger has a spot too. I have not suffered any other symptoms except a headache the night before all this started. I am not in any pain yet. Skin feels very different along the nerve path of the lesions but so far so good. I was put on acyclovir 5 times/day for 10 days. I was absolutely not surprised I got shingles. I have asked my primary care doctor about the shot for years now. He's awesome but he would chuckle and say I am too young for the shot and ask me what makes me think I will get shingles. I have suffered with cold sores on my left lip since I was 4. I'm good for 3 plus nasty ones a year. These shingles are also on my left side. Coincidence! I don't know what path these will take, 10 to 14 days of pain and then gone, or months of agony; but I wish anyone who gets them wellness. Take care of yourself and know your body. If something doesn't feel right and you can't explain why see the doctor fast.