Chiggers - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chigger bites?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of chigger bites?

A chigger bite itself is not noticeable. After the chigger has begun to inject digestive enzymes into the skin (usually after about 1-3 hours), symptoms typically begin.

• Pronounced itching is the most common symptom.

• The area of the bite may be reddened, flat, or raised; sometimes it resembles a pustule or blister.

• The itch is due to the presence of the stylostome and usually is most intense within 1-2 days after the bite.

• The itching persists for several days, and complete resolution of the skin lesions can take up to two weeks.
Return to Chiggers

Comment from: Nadine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

When doing some backpacking in the Alps, I had a severe case of chigger bites. Being from the west of the US, I had no idea what I was dealing with. I suffered tremendous itching the last 4 days of my trip. When I got to Chamonix in France, the doctor took a look at me and told me I had a bad case of "aoutas" or chiggers in English. In France they treat it with a liquid called "Ascabiol". It is for scabies, but works very wells for chiggers.

Comment from: Chuck, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

The extreme itch and the boils and pus filled bites were so insanely annoying and painful. The cream Chiggerex is what I used for the most part, Benadryl was also helpful. I flushed out my infected parts with cold ice water at least twice a day. I don't know if that helped it at all but it numbed the pain and relieved the itch for a short amount of time.