Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?

Please select the white circle:

How can Meniere's disease be treated?

• Medications: A diuretic (water pill) such as triamterene (Dyazide, Maxzide) combined with a low salt diet, is the primary treatment of Meniere's disease. Anti-vertigo medications such as meclizine (Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine) mask the symptoms, providing relief, or diazepam (Valium) may provide temporary relief during more severe attacks of vertigo. Anti-nausea medications [for example, promethazine (Phenergan)] sometimes also are prescribed. Both anti-vertigo and anti-nausea medications may cause drowsiness. Because the nausea can be so severe at times, medications may be prescribed in the form of a suppository
  • Surgery: If vertigo attacks are not controlled medically and are disabling, one of the following surgical procedures may be recommended depending on the individual patient's situation:
    • endolymphatic shunt (A surgical procedure in which a shunt (tube) is placed in the endolymphatic sac that drains excess fluid from the ear.)
    • selective vestibular neurectomy
    • labyrinthectomy (surgical removal of the labyrinth of the ear) and eighth nerve section.

Although there is no real cure for Meniere's disease, the attacks of vertigo can be controlled in nearly all cases. If you have vertigo without warning, you should not drive, because failure to control the vehicle may be hazardous to yourself and to others. Safety may require you to forego ladders, scaffolds, and swimming.

Return to Meniere Disease

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

The only treatment that helped Meniere's disease was Dyazide. It ended the vertigo, however did nothing to stop the increasing hearing loss and tinnitus. I also cut down on salt, caffeine which includes chocolate and try to not cry, which is difficult with depression. Unfortunately, most antidepressants aggravate the tinnitus and ear fullness so I'm essentially un-medicated. I've tried all of them and they all cause increased Meniere's symptoms. To sleep I use a small fan and noise machine to cut out the noise in my head. I hope this helps others.

Comment from: 69lumber69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease 3 years and 2 months ago. I suffered with extreme ringing in my left ear, dizziness and vomiting, and my balance was not good either. My hearing loss was very fast. I consulted with a friend who had an interest in eustachian tube dysfunction, and she suggested that my symptoms were related to GERD and I began to take Nexium. Amazing! My doctor was suggesting gentamicin treatments which I declined. Try Nexium before gentamicin. I am healed, thank goodness!