Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease?

How can Meniere's disease be treated?

• Medications: A diuretic (water pill) such as triamterene (Dyazide, Maxzide) combined with a low salt diet, is the primary treatment of Meniere's disease. Anti-vertigo medications such as meclizine (Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine) mask the symptoms, providing relief, or diazepam (Valium) may provide temporary relief during more severe attacks of vertigo. Anti-nausea medications [for example, promethazine (Phenergan)] sometimes also are prescribed. Both anti-vertigo and anti-nausea medications may cause drowsiness. Because the nausea can be so severe at times, medications may be prescribed in the form of a suppository
  • Surgery: If vertigo attacks are not controlled medically and are disabling, one of the following surgical procedures may be recommended depending on the individual patient's situation:
    • endolymphatic shunt (A surgical procedure in which a shunt (tube) is placed in the endolymphatic sac that drains excess fluid from the ear.)
    • selective vestibular neurectomy
    • labyrinthectomy (surgical removal of the labyrinth of the ear) and eighth nerve section.

Although there is no real cure for Meniere's disease, the attacks of vertigo can be controlled in nearly all cases. If you have vertigo without warning, you should not drive, because failure to control the vehicle may be hazardous to yourself and to others. Safety may require you to forego ladders, scaffolds, and swimming.

Return to Meniere's Disease

Comment from: Mumzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Vertigo attacks started for me about 30 years ago, and I had no idea what caused them until about five years ago when I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. By that time, the tinnitus and hearing loss were significant, and I was fitted with hearing aids. Although I still have extremely loud tinnitus, wearing the hearing aids helps considerably. I was also advised by my ENT doctor to avoid caffeine, chocolate, salt, and alcohol. Adhering to this has helped as well. I have poor balance, so I wear only flat shoes for safety's sake, and I find going down stairs particularly challenging. But I have not had a major vertigo attack in over a year. Recently my hearing took a noticeable drop, and my audiologist has suggested another hearing test. I don't know how far the hearing loss can go before I can no longer be helped with hearing aids, but we'll keep working at it. I am thankful to be otherwise healthy, and like others who have posted here, I believe a positive attitude helps.

Comment from: menieres cure, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It took almost a year for my ENT to diagnose me with secondary Endolymphatic Hydrops. I also went to other specialists over the years and they pretty much say the same thing, no cure, just deal with it. I was on a diuretic for a year, and I just keep moving trying not to give in to this disease. I suggest everyone try ginger for the nausea, Reeds or Gin Gin's is a good brand. . I have just started treatment at the Neurosensory Center in Austin, Texas and I think there is one in the Dallas, Fort Worth area also. They claim they can cure Meniere's. I am giving them a try, it is much better than being sent home with no hope.