Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of gastritis?

Surprisingly in many people, gastritis often produces no symptoms and is diagnosed only when samples of the stomach mucosa are examined for other suspected diseases. However, when gastritis symptoms occur, the most common symptoms include abdominal pain (intermittent or constant burning, gripping or gnawing pain), often accompanied by nausea and vomiting and occasionally, diarrhea. Other symptoms such as loss of appetite, bloating, and burping or belching may occur. These latter symptoms come and go over time especially with chronic gastritis. Indigestion (dyspepsia) is another term that encompasses this cluster of symptoms.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: chrissyx, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My gastritis started with weeks and weeks of a burning sensation in my chest and stomach, feeling sick but I just put it down to heartburn an indigestion. Weeks later I was at work and the pain was worse than usual, by the time I got home I was in serious pain retching and cramping up. I went to bed hoping I could sleep it off but yelled my mum awake at about 6am, the pain was now worse than giving birth to my son and I thought I was dying. I got an appointment with an emergency doctor as it was a Saturday. I couldn't walk, speak or function at this point and my mum said I looked yellow. When we got into the doctor's she felt my tummy, looked at my eyes, took my temperature (which was sky high) and rang me an ambulance. Anyway long story short, when I got to the hospital they soon figured out that it was gastritis and hooked me up to a drip of omeprazole in 1 arm and antibiotics in the other. They took blood and said my blood count was only at 52% so they kept me in for 3 days and gave me a blood transfusion of 2 pints. They said it was a miracle I was walking around and going to work! So please don't ignore symptoms, as I have never felt pain like that in my life! Mine was caused by overuse of ibuprofen.

Comment from: PHILI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have suffered from a burning stomach, throat, burping and passing of gas since 2011 and have been to more than 6 doctors. Two of them said I suffer from acid reflux. Then I was prescribed Nexium 40mg which did not help much, until last year when I was referred to gastroenterologists where I did my endoscopy and nodular gastritis was found. I am currently taking omeprazole which seem to be working for me, but lately I have noticed that whenever I take something with cow milk I get that burning sensation, I could be lactose intolerant as well.

Stay Informed!