Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of gastritis?

Surprisingly in many people, gastritis often produces no symptoms and is diagnosed only when samples of the stomach mucosa are examined for other suspected diseases. However, when gastritis symptoms occur, the most common symptoms include abdominal pain (intermittent or constant burning, gripping or gnawing pain), often accompanied by nausea and vomiting and occasionally, diarrhea. Other symptoms such as loss of appetite, bloating, and burping or belching may occur. These latter symptoms come and go over time especially with chronic gastritis. Indigestion (dyspepsia) is another term that encompasses this cluster of symptoms.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: Papagigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 73 years old and otherwise in good health and active. My gastritis pain is a severe gripping and crippling pain between my breasts that goes through to my back. I started having them about 4 weeks ago but maybe once in a while. I was eating Tums. Finally I went to the doctor and saw his assistant who diagnosed esophageal spasms and gave me nitro. A few days later I had 3 episodes in one day each worse than the last. My husband took me into emergency. I had enough markers for heart attack that they did a heart catheter through my wrist. It was not heart. Next test was endoscopy where they found gastritis and erosion of the duodenum. I was in hospital 3 days and sent home with a device implanted in my esophagus to measure acid and activity of attacks. I have not received results of that yet. Doctor took away my arthritis medicines which were the culprit and increased Prilosec to 40 mg twice a day and a Pepcid AC 20 mg before bed. Last week I went 3 days without attack and wham, another bad one. I have been eating very plain and small meals. Seems to be the best. I went to friends' for dinner and ate more than usual. Bad choice. Very bad attack last night, not only pain in chest and back but left arm. I could not lay flat. Slept in recliner all night. Most attacks last about 20 minutes but last night was nearly an hour. Doctor says it takes a good 6 weeks to feel better. I can't believe how excruciating and debilitating these attacks are. Really watch the diet and take your medicines.

Comment from: amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will help with gastritis. Also I take probiotic once daily as well as eat apples, bananas, grilled fish or salmon and instant potatoes. It has cleared my gastritis up to the point where I am trying more foods daily.