Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of gastritis?

Surprisingly in many people, gastritis often produces no symptoms and is diagnosed only when samples of the stomach mucosa are examined for other suspected diseases. However, when gastritis symptoms occur, the most common symptoms include the following:

• Abdominal pain (intermittent or constant burning, gripping or gnawing pain) often accompanied by nausea and vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Bloating
  • Burping
  • Belching

These last four symptoms come and go over time especially with chronic gastritis. Indigestion (dyspepsia) is another term that encompasses this cluster of symptoms.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will help with gastritis. Also I take probiotic once daily as well as eat apples, bananas, grilled fish or salmon and instant potatoes. It has cleared my gastritis up to the point where I am trying more foods daily.

Comment from: Fredrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

One day I had pain in my upper right abdomen that was so excruciating and I remember before that I was degassing a lot. The symptoms were so sudden that it was difficult to single out what could have caused it. I'm therefore left guessing the cause. When I went to my doctor, blood and stool tests were done but with negative results. I was later taken for endoscopy that revealed gastritis. I was then put on Nexium IV and later 40 mg of Nexium. The pain subsided but with recurrence sometimes. I am presently on a diet with cabbage as part of my diet. Those taking proton inhibitors should also try to take breaks because continuous use may result in sclerosis due to lack of calcium digestion. Good luck to all of us, may we get relief.