Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Please select the black square:

What are systemic exertion intolerance disease or chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms and signs?

The symptoms and signs of CFS/SEID are complex but specific. The patient must have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration with other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis. In addition, the patients have four or more of the following symptoms that either occurred at the same time or after the severe chronic fatigue. The symptoms are substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration; sore throat; tender lymph nodes; muscle pain; multi-joint pain without swelling or redness; headaches of a new type, pattern, or severity; unrefreshing sleep; and post-exertion malaise lasting more than 24 hours. Patients may often have additional symptoms such as double vision, mild fevers, earaches, diarrhea, and many other symptoms, but they do not fit into the criteria that are considered to be part of the definition of CFS.

The following are five main symptoms that the new IOM considers key for SEID or CFS:

• Reduction or impairment in ability to carry out normal daily activities, accompanied by profound fatigue
  • Post-exertional malaise (worsening of symptoms after physical, cognitive, or emotional effort)
  • Unrefreshing sleep
  • Cognitive impairment
  • Orthostatic intolerance (symptoms that worsen when a person stands upright and improve when the person lies back down)
Return to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I broke my humerus from a fall, my first broken bone.

Comment from: Mellisa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Fruit juice was the best remedy for constipation in children. I can't find any better remedies that can help my daughter to get rid of the constipation. I highly prefer the pear juice and the apple juice for constipated child. My daughter is fussy, so I only add 1 ounce of fruit juice to dilute with fluids. She did not notice and was able to finish the whole bottle. It helps her to get rid of the constipation problem when she was only 2 years old.