Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your degenerative disc disease and sciatica?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of degenerative disc disease?

Degeneration of the disc tissue makes the disc more susceptible to herniation. Degeneration of the disc can cause local pain in the affected area. Any level of the spine can be affected by disc degeneration. When disc degeneration affects the spine of the neck, it is referred to as cervical disc disease. When the mid-back is affected, the condition is referred to as thoracic disc disease. Disc degeneration that affects the lumbar spine can cause low back pain (referred to as lumbago) or irritation of a spinal nerve to cause pain radiating down the leg (sciatica). Lumbago causes pain localized to the low back and is common in older people. Degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis) of the facet joints that can be detected with plain X-ray testing is also a cause of localized lumbar pain. The pain from degenerative disc or joint disease of the spine is usually treated conservatively with intermittent heat, rest, rehabilitative exercises, and medications to relieve pain, muscle spasm, and inflammation.

Return to Degenerative Disc Disease & Sciatica

Comment from: Rayzor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I had an accident at work two year ago, I damaged my lower back. The pain was unbearable to say the least. I couldn't bend, I couldn't walk far, pain down my right buttocks and leg, into the foot. I had physiotherapy, traction, neither of which worked. After an MRI scan it was revealed I had a bulging disc, I was offered by the spinal surgeon, do nothing and live with it, injections, or surgery. I opted for the injections, they didn't work, I had more injections, and they didn't work. I had surgery (discectomy) a year and a half back, I've since had some more injections to burn the nerves away. It is now 2 years since my accident. My sciatica is back, my back pain is just as bad as before. I also now suffer from spasms in my lower back. I've tried regular exercise, swimming, walking, stretches, but nothing has eased the pain at all. I've gone from being a very fit and healthy man, to a very sorry looking soul, whose mental health is weakening by the day. I'm keeping my chin up and ask myself each day, what on earth have I done to deserve this life.

Comment from: irishlace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with cervical degenerative disc disease at age 40. Now I have spinal stenosis in the neck along with bone spurs. I am afraid to have surgery at my age. Burning pain in the back of my neck wakes me in the middle of the night. I am about to see a pain management doctor. I hope I can get relief with these doctors.