Hysterectomy - Treatments

What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?

How is a hysterectomy performed?

In the past the most common hysterectomy was done by an incision (cut) through the abdomen (abdominal hysterectomy). Now most surgeries can utilize laparoscopic assisted or vaginal hysterectomies (performed through the vagina rather than through the abdomen) for quicker and easier recovery. The hospital stay generally tends to be longer with an abdominal hysterectomy than with a vaginal hysterectomy, and hospital charges tend to be higher. The procedures seem to take comparable lengths of time (about two hours), unless the uterus is of a very large size, in which case a vaginal hysterectomy may take longer.

Return to Hysterectomy

Comment from: Grandmother Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Well I went to my OBGYN doctor today and last week. I had two biopsies and ouch, they hurt. I had not been to a doctor in 15 years. Reason being that I had no insurance at all. I couldn't afford it. I know I was not going to get good news this morning. She wants to do a hysterectomy. So I have been reading on the web all about bad pap smears. I asked how bad my pap smear was and she said it was really bad.

Comment from: Daniela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I've been treated with birth control, endometrial ablation, ultrasounds and now anti-inflammatory pain pills. Every woman in my family has had to have a hysterectomy and I know it's probably time for me to have one also. I can't take the pain anymore. I've had to call of work twice this year due to the pain. Nothing I try to relieve the pain helps. I feel bad because other women would like to have a functioning uterus but mine is slowly affecting every age of my life negatively.

Stay Informed!