Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your muscle pain?

Please select the black triangle:

What are causes and risk factors for myofascial pain syndrome?

The cause of myofascial pain syndrome is unknown. Nevertheless, prior injury, poor sleep patterns, stressful life situations, and depression are common underlying conditions that may play a role in inciting and exacerbating myofascial pain syndrome. It is currently felt that risk factors such as these may lead to a change in the ability of the brain to properly process pain perception (referred to as central pain processing).

Return to Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Comment from: Joann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I believe my myofascial pain syndrome was caused by Ramsey Hunt syndrome. Little is known about the cause and effect of Ramsey Hunt Syndrome. Only one doctor I have had, had any contact with a patient who had Ramsey Hunt Syndrome and most know very little. The spasm to the left side muscle extending below my left ear to my collar bone worsens as time goes by. Cyclobenzaprine does ease the spasms.

Comment from: nana, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 30

For the last year I have been suffering from pain around my scapula, rhomboids, pectoral and deltoid muscles or area. The pain is so unbearable sometimes that I wish someone can knock me out. I haven't been able to work in my field since it started a year ago. Sometimes I can't drive or brush my hair. It is debilitating and I'm tired all the time because I can't sleep. Today, I was diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome, it won't be cured but I know that with regular massage, physical therapy and medication the symptoms will be controlled. Those were the only things that helped me for the past year.