Canker Sores - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your canker sores?

What are symptoms of canker sores?

Canker sores are painful sores inside the mouth. They may occur on the tongue, the lining of the cheeks, the gums, the inside of the lips, or the soft palate on the back of the roof of your mouth. Common symptoms of canker sores include:

• A burning, tingling, or prickling sensation, up to 24 hours before the sore appears
  • Crater-like ulcers that are white, gray, or yellow in color, with a red border
  • Sores are usually painful
  • Difficulty speaking, eating, or swallowing

Less common symptoms that can also indicate a more serious underlying infection include:

• Fever
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Sluggishness

Contact your doctor or dentist if your canker sores are:

• Larger than usual
  • Spreading
  • Lasting more than 3 weeks
  • Causing severe pain even after taking over-the-counter pain medication
  • Causing difficulty drinking enough fluids to stay hydrated
  • Accompanied by fever
Return to Canker Sores

Comment from: Freddy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

Biting my inner lip a lot leaves me with a very painful canker sore. I have been using a lot of different stuff but found washing my mouth with hydrogen peroxide is the fastest, cheapest and easiest way to get rid of them.

Comment from: elise, Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My canker sores are strange. They typically occur in 2 places: under the tongue and inside the lower lip. I get a dozen of them at a time.

Stay Informed!