Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Please select the black square:

What are lichen planus symptoms and signs?

Lichen planus itches with an intensity that varies in different people from mild to severe.

The onset of lichen planus can be sudden or gradual. The first attack may last for weeks or months, and recurrences may happen for years. The bumps at first are 2 mm-4 mm in diameter, with angular borders and a violet color. An excess of pigment (hyperpigmentation) may develop in the affected skin as the lesions persist. Rarely, a patchy, scarring balding (alopecia) of the scalp occurs.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: PontGTO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I noticed after a visit to my orthodontist I contracted a sinus infection. A few weeks later I had a root canal done and the dentist said I had a white patch in my mouth and it could be from brushing to hard. Then I noticed my tongue would burn and my mouth became sensitive to spicy/hot foods. So I looked inside my mouth and was shocked to see white and red patches. This was devastating, I thought oral cancer, but then I had none of the symptoms when researched, so as I dug further into the disease world I found (on my own) that I had every symptom of lichen planus. Of course I thought of when I had this before and it went away in about 7 weeks. What I did to rectify this problem was taking 3000 milligrams of penicillin and 30 milligrams of prednisone and 600 milligrams of selenium for 10 days and this seemed to work very well.

Comment from: Allene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have oral lichen planus. I first started noticing little blisters in my mouth that would break and be sore for a couple of days. I also felt ridges on the inside of my cheeks. Eating sugar seemed to aggravate it. I noticed that artificial sweeteners in soft drinks and chewing gum also made my mouth break out more. Recently my oral hygienist told me my mouth was the worst she had ever seen and that I had a couple of ulcers in my mouth. I had chewed some sugar free gum over the weekend. I am trying to cut out as much sugar and sugar substitutes as I can to see if it makes a difference. It has been about a week now, and my mouth is feeling better.