Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

What are the symptoms and signs of lichen planus?

Lichen planus itches with an intensity that varies in different people from mild to severe.

The onset of lichen planus can be sudden or gradual. The first attack may last for weeks or months, and recurrences may happen for years. The bumps at first are 2 mm to 4 mm in diameter, with angular borders and a violet color. An excess of pigment (hyperpigmentation) may develop in the affected skin as the lesions persist. Rarely, a patchy, scarring balding (alopecia) of the scalp occurs.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: PAT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My lichen planus began years ago; I had very dry skin and places on my arms that felt bruised yet the doctor just told me it was my age, at the time I was 42. I at times felt my fingernails were on fire and couldn't find relief from this and couldn't tolerate any kind of cold and still can't. My skin got these little brown patches and when I scratched them it would break and clear fluid would be there and it would burn like when you burn yourself only they weren't burns. It would leave a hole there and then dry up and heal but others would take its place. Then it got to where I am today, imagine going from age 42 to 60 before finding a doctor that said, hey that's lichen planus. Finally, but then finding there's a way to help but not cure; well, it's good to know.

Comment from: Mouthy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Four years ago I had an endoscopy. The next day I was hospitalized for the ulcers in my mouth and throat. A year later, it was diagnosed as lichen planus, after a biopsy. The rashes are painful and frequent; my mouth oozes blood at night; my cheeks swell so that my teeth cut them open; my legs, scalp and back are covered with lesions and I am in constant pain. I have seen 6 different doctors and specialists, to no avail. They aren't even giving me treatment or they try to pass it off as eczema even though the biopsy says it is lichen planus. I am at my wits end. Good luck to all and I wish you well.