Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

What are lichen planus symptoms and signs?

Lichen planus itches with an intensity that varies in different people from mild to severe.

The onset of lichen planus can be sudden or gradual. The first attack may last for weeks or months, and recurrences may happen for years. The bumps at first are 2 mm-4 mm in diameter, with angular borders and a violet color. An excess of pigment (hyperpigmentation) may develop in the affected skin as the lesions persist. Rarely, a patchy, scarring bald (alopecia) area on the scalp occurs.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: Lainey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My problem began with 1 bright red bump on the top of my foot. It didn't itch, but then small bumps appeared around it. I decided to see my dermatologist who diagnosed it as lichen planus. Then he biopsied to confirm. By then the rash spread to my calves and thighs. Itchy, itchy. The doctor gave me a cream to help the itchiness and calm it down. It helps a little. Now above and below my waist is covered and very itchy. I want it to stop, I hate it!

Comment from: Naomi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I woke up early in the morning (3:30) with nausea which eventually became 'throw up'. Since then I have thrown up about 9 times; the last one just now at 11 AM. Diarrhea began shortly after the first throw up episode and I have had probably 12 to 13 episodes, the last one around 10:45 AM. I have not eaten anything, took Pepto-Bismol around 7:30 AM, but threw it up shortly afterwards. I had a clear drink similar to Sprite which resulted in the 11 AM throw up episode. I have chills, but no pain, and my tongue and teeth are black. Last meal was 2 BBQ hotlinks (fresh) and Spanish rice made from a packet of dried rice with seasoning. I had purchased it over a year ago, and feel this may be the cause. I have had food poisoning in the past, but it never lasted this long.