Vasculitis - Diagnosis

How was your vasculitis diagnosed?

Please select the black square:

How is vasculitis diagnosed?

Laboratory testing of blood or body fluids in a patient with active vasculitis generally indicates inflammation in the body. Depending on the degree of organ involvement, a variety of organ function tests can be abnormal.

The diagnosis of vasculitis is definitively established after a biopsy of involved tissue demonstrates the pattern of blood vessel inflammation. Examples of tissues used for biopsy include skin, sinuses, lung, nerve, and kidney. Depending upon the situation, an alternative to biopsy can be an X-ray test of the blood vessels called an angiogram, which can demonstrate characteristic patterns of inflammation in affected blood vessels.

Return to Vasculitis

Comment from: River girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with vasculitis after an ANCA blood test. I don't have any of the symptoms which they asked me, so I'm really questioning whether I have the disease or not. I've been reading about this for over an hour and see nothing else that points to vasculitis. They want to start me on prednisone and methotrexate. I'm really scared. No biopsy was done.

Comment from: DONeal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was diagnosed by a vascular surgeon who knew that the vein bursts, of which I've had many, are caused by vasculitis. It started in right hand, with pain and numbness of fingers, and spasms that woke me up while I was trying to sleep. The lack of sleep made my lupus worse and I felt myself going a little crazy. Having a diagnosis helps but this is my 4th month and I'm wearing out. The pain and fatigue are awful.