Actinic Keratosis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your actinic keratosis?

Please select the white circle:

How is an actinic keratosis treated?

The best treatment for an AK is prevention. For light-skinned individuals, this means minimizing their sun exposure. By the time actinic keratoses develop, however, the relevant ultraviolet radiation is often so far in the past that prudent preventive measures play a relatively small role. Fortunately, treatment methods are usually simple and straightforward:

• Cryosurgery: Freezing AKs with liquid nitrogen often causes them to slough off and go away.

• Other forms of surgery: Doctors sometimes cut away or burn off AKs.

• 5-fluorouracil (5-FU): Creams containing this medication cause AKs to become red and inflamed before they fall off. Although effective, this method often produces unsightly and uncomfortable skin for a period of weeks, thus making it impractical for many patients. This method is best for patients who have a great deal of sun damage and many AKs. Once the skin heals, it often looks much smoother and even-toned, in addition to having fewer actinic keratoses.

• Imiquimod (Aldara): This immune stimulator is similar in its indications and effects to 5-FU.

• Photodynamic therapy (PDT): This therapy involves applying a dye (aminolevulinic acid [Levulan] or ALA) that sensitizes the skin to light, leaving it on for about one hour, and then exposing the skin to light that activates the dye. This light can come from a laser or other light source. Like 5-FU and imiquimod, photodynamic therapy works best for patients with many AKs. Patients need to avoid exposure to sun or intense fluorescent light for two days after treatment to prevent ongoing peeling.

• Diclofenac (Solaraze): This cream is an nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID), an agent related to ibuprofen [Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever], a popular medication for headaches). Diclofenac is gentler than 5-FU or imiquimod, causing less inflammation, but must be applied for a longer period of about two months to achieve benefits.
Return to Actinic Keratosis

Comment from: Spam21, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Three weeks ago I was prescribed Picato gel for actinic keratosis, after trying everything else; my doctor was reluctant to give it to me as it is expensive. Week one, the areas blistered and looked terrible, week 2 the areas dried and started to peel and week three, I have some scarring but it is hardly noticeable. I am moisturizing morning and evening and using factor 50 sunscreen daily.

Comment from: Bcry, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I have used multiple products for actinic keratosis, mostly creams, in the past. None of those seemed to work. I'm glad I learned about SR Lotion from a colleague. It's been two weeks since I first used it. I have seen the result right away, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Who knows! This might be the one I am looking for.