Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

What are lumbar spinal stenosis symptoms?

Lumbar spinal stenosis can cause

• low back pain,
  • weakness,
  • numbness,
  • pain,
  • loss of sensation in the legs and feet.

In most situations, the symptoms improve when the patient is sitting or leaning forward. Typically, painful sensations shoot down the legs with continued walking and diminish with resting. These leg sensations sometimes mimic sciatica. This particular activity-related symptom is sometimes referred to as pseudoclaudication (or neurogenic claudication) because it mimics the true claudication of poor circulation from the narrowed blood vessels of peripheral vascular disease. Standing and bending backward can make the symptoms worse. This is because bending forward increases the space in the spinal canal and vertebral foramina, while bending backward decreases this space. It is therefore more comfortable for patients to sit or lean forward. Patients are frequently unable to walk for long distances and often state that their symptoms are improved when bending forward while walking with the support of a walker or shopping cart.

The symptoms commonly worsen with time. This is because degenerative arthritis is a progressive disease that gradually becomes more severe with time. If left untreated, the compression on the nerves from lumbar spinal stenosis can lead to increasing weakness and loss of function of the legs. It can also lead to loss of bowel and bladder control and loss of sexual function.

A doctor can help determine if one's symptoms are from lumbar spinal stenosis or a different condition. Many other disorders can cause similar symptoms that mimic lumbar spinal stenosis including

• diabetic neuropathy,
  • peripheral vascular disease,
  • vascular claudication.
Return to Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am 57 and I had a fall from a horse last June 2014 which resulted in a rotator cuff injury. I had surgery on my shoulder last November 2014. Since January this year I have been suffering with leg pain in both legs, which keeps me awake, it always starts around 2.30 am. My physiotherapist who sees me for my shoulder operation is also seeing me about my leg pain. Last week she manipulated my lower spine. For 3 nights and days it was wonderful, no pain. Then Sunday night and every night since the pain has returned with vengeance. The pains I experience in both legs is sometimes throbbing or dull continuous ache, and then a few months ago it moved to around top of both legs in the groin area, very painful. The last 2 night and days I have experienced pain in both shins all night and day, it just won't go away. I have experienced numbness in both legs and unable to move them during the night for 10/15 seconds which seem like ages. I'm seeing my physiotherapist tomorrow and just hope he suggests an MRI. I'm due to return to work next month after having my shoulder surgery. But I feel these leg pains are going to prevent me from doing this as they are at the moment. As yet I haven't had one though I am worried it might be lumbar spinal stenosis. I have on occasions lost control of both lower functions, and have been referred back to surgeons for this.

Comment from: long island phil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I was in a motorcycle accident in 05 and broke my neck and back. Due to the impact I got arthritis in pelvis and lower back. Two months ago I got a pinched nerve in my spine where there is no cushion left. I had pain like I never felt before; like being electrocuted! After MRI I was set to get a laminectomy {open up the spine to let the nerves breathe} for my lumbar spinal stenosis. I have diabetes. Before I was supposed to go under they found my levels were too high and sent me home. I am bed ridden and not set to go under till July 7th. I can't bear the pain! I am on oxycodone, hydrocodone and all the rest and can't find a day {no, a minute} without pain. I am ready to drive my car into a brick wall!