Erythema Nodosum - Treatments

What was the treatment for your erythema nodosum?

How is erythema nodosum treated?

Erythema nodosum is initially managed by identifying and treating any underlying condition present. Simultaneously, treatment is directed toward the inflamed skin from the erythema nodosum.

Treatments for erythema nodosum include anti-inflammatory drugs, and cortisone by mouth or local injection. Colchicine is sometimes used effectively to reduce inflammation and prevent recurrence. Treatment must be customized for the particular patient and conditions present, such as the existence of any associated diseases. It is important to note that erythema nodosum, while annoying and often painful, does not threaten internal organs and the long-term outlook is generally very good.

Return to Erythema Nodosum

Comment from: denwin, 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a male 74 years old and have had a lot of medical problems; four bypasses on my heart, colon removed with 12 inches of bowel, diverticulitis, C. difficile, blood clots. The doctor ran tests on my legs as he thought I had blood clots again. It was diagnosed as erythema nodosum (EN). I also have renal vasculitis, which is 3rd stage kidney disease. For this I was given 8o mg of prednisone for a long period of time. The biopsy at the dermatologist proved EN. I tried wrapping my legs in Saran wrap at night with cream (clobetasol propionate) day and night, to no avail. This is extremely painful and I thought a vein specialist could do something for this. My prednisone has been reduced to 5 mg a day now, and I believe the pain increased. Some days it's like dying, one day at a time!

Comment from: momof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Two words: potassium iodide. This is the only treatment that works for erythema nodosum. Not steroids, not antibiotics, nothing else works.