Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

Please select the white circle:

What are potential complications of cataract surgery?

While cataract surgery is one of the safest procedures available with a high rate of success, rare complications can arise. Your ophthalmologist will discuss the specific potential complications of the procedures that are unique to your eye prior to having you sign a consent form. The most common difficulties arising after surgery are persistent inflammation, changes in eye pressure, infection, or swelling of the retina at the back of the eye (cystoid macular edema), and retinal detachment. If the delicate bag the lens sits in is injured, then the artificial lens may need to be placed in a different location. In some cases, the intraocular lens moves or does not function properly and may need to be repositioned, exchanged, or removed. All of these complications are rare but can lead to significant visual loss; thus, close follow-up is required after surgery. If you have pre-existing macular degeneration or floaters, these will not be made better by cataract surgery.

In some cases, within months to years after surgery, the thin lens capsule may become cloudy, causing blurred vision after cataract surgery. You may have the sensation that the cataract is returning because your vision is becoming blurry again. This process is termed posterior capsular opacification, or a "secondary cataract." To restore vision, a laser is used in the office to painlessly create a hole in the cloudy bag. This procedure takes only a few minutes in the office, and vision usually improves rapidly.

Return to Cataract Surgery

Comment from: Norma w, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had cataract surgery in one eye 5 weeks ago and all fine except that I see different colors around me. Things are predominately yellow, but only from that eye. If I cover it and look through the other, colors are fine. This morning I came down to a purple glass jug on the draining board but it's brown! I tried holding my hand over the operated eye and jug was brown, but a beautiful purple when looking through the operated eye and through both. I wonder what has happened!

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I had cataract surgery a week ago in my right eye. I experienced cloudy vision within 1 hour of leaving hospital. I returned and had it checked. High pressure in the eye was the cause and eye drops were given to correct vision. It did work. I also have semicircular black area on right edge of the right eye. Doctor says it's the edge of the lens I'm seeing and it may go away with time but can't guarantee it. Also I saw a spot on eye that doctor says is lens edge again. It's only visible in the mirror. I have read other people say they have had these two issues also. My distance vision is much better. I still need reading glasses but that's better than bifocals.