Cataract Surgery - Side effects

How has cataract surgery affected your vision?

What are potential complications of cataract surgery?

While cataract surgery is one of the safest procedures available with a high rate of success, rare complications can arise. Your ophthalmologist will discuss the specific potential complications of the procedures that are unique to your eye prior to having you sign a consent form. The most common difficulties arising after surgery are persistent inflammation, changes in eye pressure, infection, or swelling of the retina at the back of the eye (cystoid macular edema), and retinal detachment. If the delicate bag the lens sits in is injured, then the artificial lens may need to be placed in a different location. In some cases, the intraocular lens moves or does not function properly and may need to be repositioned, exchanged, or removed. All of these complications are rare but can lead to significant visual loss; thus, close follow-up is required after surgery. If you have pre-existing macular degeneration or floaters, these will not be made better by cataract surgery.

In some cases, within months to years after surgery, the thin lens capsule may become cloudy, causing blurred vision after cataract surgery. You may have the sensation that the cataract is returning because your vision is becoming blurry again. This process is termed posterior capsular opacification, or a "secondary cataract." To restore vision, a laser is used in the office to painlessly create a hole in the cloudy bag. This procedure takes only a few minutes in the office, and vision usually improves rapidly.

Return to Cataract Surgery

Comment from: underthepetal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I'm 33 and most doctors think I got cataract from steroids. I had surgery in my right eye. I am nearsighted in one eye and far sighted in the surgery eye now. It's frustrating and hard to adapt so I still wear a contact in my left eye. To read or see near I wear reading glasses but that gets annoying taking off and on so I'm trying to just deal with it and hope it gets easier as I adapt. I feel as though eyelash is in my eye sometimes. I sometimes see a clear kind of glare off to side but the doctor said all that should heal in time. I can see the lens reflection in the mirror which is creepy. My friends see it in the light. They sometimes see it sparkle. That can take a while to go away. Distance vision is great but near vision sucks to read and type on phone, especially using one eye. All in all I think the pros outweigh the cons. I can see and that"s what matters.

Comment from: Angel, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My mother had a cataract operation on April 12, 2014. During the procedure the doctor had to put TCR, a ring to hold the lens because the ring which should hold the lens is already worn out. It was later on found out that the cause might have been a bad fall that my mom had years ago where her right eyes got hurt. So, after about a week, my mom"s eyes is still blurred. So now, the doctor is telling her to have an eye scan. I was not with them when she had the checkup but I wonder why this happened.