Chemotherapy - Experiences

What was your experience with chemotherapy?

What is chemotherapy?

Chemotherapy (also called chemo) is a type of cancer treatment that uses drugs to destroy cancer cells.

Return to Chemotherapy

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: June 09

It has been almost 5 years since I went through chemo treatments. It was a terrible time but I always tried to pick 1 good thing out with all the bad things that were happening. I lost my hair so I save money on shampoo. Nothing tasted good except chocolate, so I ate a lot of it! I spent a lot of my time away from work with my kids, grandchildren and family. I wrote a little book for my grandchildren called What Happened to Grandma's Hair? This experience has taught me and my family a lot about living each day and staying positive through it all. When you wake up each day, smile and give someone a hug.

Comment from: Roberta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a mastectomy on December 10th with 17 lymph nodes removed. Eight of those were also cancerous. I started my first chemotherapy on January 14 and now have developed the mouth sores, and extreme joint pain plus a sore throat. I was wondering if these symptoms will continue through my future chemotherapy treatments or if they will lessen or go away. The joint pain is really bad and though I'm not nauseous or anything like that, the mouth sores do prevent me from eating very large meals. I'm taking the pain medications given after surgery and also some Ibuprofen.