Helicobacter Pylori - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Helicobacter Pylori?

What is the treatment for H. pylori?

H. pylori is difficult to eradicate from the stomach because it is capable of developing resistance to commonly used antibiotics. Therefore, two or more antibiotics usually are given together with a PPI and/or bismuth containing compounds to eradicate the bacterium. (Bismuth and PPIs have anti-H. pylori effects.) Examples of combinations of medications that are effective are:

• a PPI, amoxicillin (Amoxil) and clarithromycin (Biaxin)
  • a PPI, metronidazole (Flagyl), tetracycline and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, Bismuth)

These combinations of medications can be expected to cure 70% to 90% of infections. However, studies have shown that resistance of H. pylori (failure of antibiotics to eradicate the bacterium) to clarithromycin is common among patients who have prior exposure to clarithromycin or other chemically similar macrolide antibiotics (such as erythromycin). Similarly, H. pylori resistance to metronidazole is common among patients who have had prior exposure to metronidazole. In these patients, doctors have to find other combinations of antibiotics to treat the H. pylori. Antibiotic resistance is another reason why antibiotics should be used carefully and judiciously for the right reasons, and indiscriminate use of antibiotics for improper reasons should be discouraged. First-line regimens for Helicobacter pylori eradication are taken from the guidelines developed by the American College of Gastroenterology as follows:

1. Standard dose of a *PPI (proton pump inhibitor) *b.i.d. (esomeprazole is *q.d.), clarithromycin 500 mg b.i.d., amoxicillin 1,000 mg b.i.d. for 10-14 days
  2. Standard dose PPI b.i.d., clarithromycin 500 mg b.i.d. metronidazole 500 mg b.i.d. for 10-14 days
  3. Bismuth subsalicylate 525 mg p.o. q.i.d. metronidazole 250 mg * p.o. *q.i.d., tetracycline 500 mg p.o. q.i.d., ranitidine 150 mg p.o. b.i.d. or standard dose PPI q.d. to b.i.d. for 10-14 days
  4. PPI + amoxicillin 1 g b.i.d., for 5 days, followed by PPI, clarithromycin 500 mg, tinidazole 500 mg b.i.d. for 5 days (used mainly in other countries)

*PPI = proton pump inhibitor; pcn = penicillin; p.o. = orally; q.d. = daily; b.i.d. = twice daily; t.i.d. = three times daily; q.i.d. = four times daily.

Some doctors may want to confirm eradication of H. pylori after treatment with a urea breath test or a stool antigen test, particularly if there have been serious complications of the infection such as perforation or bleeding in the stomach or duodenum. Endoscopic biopsies to determine eradication of the bacterium are not necessary, and blood tests are not good for determining eradication since it takes many months for the antibodies to H. pylori to decrease. The best tests for determining eradication are the breath and stool tests discussed previously. Patients who fail to eradicate H. pylori with treatment are retreated, often with a different combination of medications.

Return to Helicobacter Pylori (H pylori)

Comment from: Jodi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I started having colonoscopies about 7 years ago, due to a family history of bowel cancer. I've never graduated past the 2 year event! Then it was decided I should have routine endoscopies as well. In August of 2013 I was diagnosed with the rarest form of helicobacter pylori. No one knew what to do with me, so they treated me for helicobacter pylori. So I started with the HP-Pac. I went back for another endoscopy. Before my results, I started bleeding when trying to have a bowel movement and ended up in emergency. Two days later I had an emergency surgery. One, I have a prolapsed bowel, and now diagnosed positive with helicobacter pylori. So now I'm taking tetracycline, metronidazole, Teva-Rabeprazole and Pepto-Bismol! I never had any symptoms sure do now! I'm so much more bloated since I've started my second treatment. My back hurts, I'm so very tired, and just plumb feeling so not attractive! I have an appointment in June for the breath test. Wow, it was great to read all of your stories. I'm not alone! Take care all!

Comment from: Natural health, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have Helicobacter pylori. I was very sick off and on for years. Because I am very healthy and haven"t used antibiotics in years I am taking them. But I am a natural health practitioner and will be also using probiotics, mastic gum and allied natural health tablets made from concentrated allicin found in garlic. DGL (natural licorice) and enzymes.