Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?

What are fissures and how are they treated?

Fissures are tears in the lining of the anus. They may be superficial or deep. Fissures are especially common in Crohn's disease. They differ from fistulas in that fissures are confined to the anus and do not connect to other parts of the bowel, other internal organs, or the skin. Still, fissures can cause mild to severe rectal pain and bleeding, especially with bowel movements. The most common treatment for anal fissures is periodic sitz baths or topical creams that relax the muscle (sphincter) around the anus. Injections of tiny amounts of botulinum toxin into the muscles around the anus have been reported to be helpful in relaxing the sphincter, thereby allowing the fissures to heal. The benefit of this type of therapy, however, is still controversial. Sometimes, surgery is needed to relieve the persistent pain or bleeding of an anal fissure. For example, the surgeon may cut out (excise) the fissure. Alternatively, the muscle around the anus can be cut (sphincterotomy) to relax the sphincter so that the fissure can heal. However, as is the cases with any surgery in patients with Crohn's disease, post-operative intestinal complications can occur frequently.

Return to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)

Comment from: Twinkles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been given Metronidazole 3 times a day. Have been taking it 4 days. I still have diarrhea. Taking meds for that too.

Comment from: linda77, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1986 and had the diseased portion removed by surgery. My Crohn's disease has remained in remission. I recently started having very bad gas. Recently, I went for a colonoscopy and no signs of the disease but my small bowel has narrowed somewhat and the diagnosis by the surgeon was to leave it alone. The bad gas is limiting my activity. If I am going out I have to not eat until I get back or have "Ensure" or take a laxative to make sure my bowel is empty. I am frustrated with this problem. I think my next move will see my gastroenterologist in Vancouver, B.C.