Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?

Please select the white circle:

What are fissures and how are they treated?

Fissures are tears in the lining of the anus. They may be superficial or deep. Fissures are especially common in Crohn's disease. They differ from fistulas in that fissures are confined to the anus and do not connect to other parts of the bowel, other internal organs, or the skin. Still, fissures can cause mild to severe rectal pain and bleeding, especially with bowel movements. The most common treatment for anal fissures is periodic sitz baths or topical creams that relax the muscle (sphincter) around the anus. Injections of tiny amounts of botulinum toxin into the muscles around the anus have been reported to be helpful in relaxing the sphincter, thereby allowing the fissures to heal. The benefit of this type of therapy, however, is still controversial. Sometimes, surgery is needed to relieve the persistent pain or bleeding of an anal fissure. For example, the surgeon may cut out (excise) the fissure. Alternatively, the muscle around the anus can be cut (sphincterotomy) to relax the sphincter so that the fissure can heal. However, as is the cases with any surgery in patients with Crohn's disease, post-operative intestinal complications can occur frequently.

Return to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)

Comment from: Lonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have suffered for years with bouts of raging diarrhea. I was finally diagnosed with collagenous colitis. Drugs were steroids, i.e., Entocort, then Lialda was added. After one year on Lialda I was hospitalized with a condition later diagnosed as 'drug induced lupus'. I am currently taking no drugs and limited GMOs and gluten (though I don't test positive for gluten intolerance).

Comment from: Ames, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had 6 months of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms following a fibromyalgia diagnosis. All tests were done. I was told I had inflammation in my stomach. I bought the book, 'Breaking the vicious cycle,' and started eating gluten free, lactose free and sugar free. I also eliminated processed foods and followed the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) in the book. My IBS symptoms went away and I continued to eat the SCD diet for 14 months. I feel great and I continue to limit gluten, sugar and lactose. I've told many people about the book/diet. It really saved me.