Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?

Please select the white circle:

What are rotavirus symptoms and signs?

Symptoms of the disease include fever, vomiting, and watery diarrhea. Abdominal pain may also occur, and infected children may have profuse watery diarrhea up to several times per day. Symptoms generally persist for three to nine days. Immunity from repeated infection is incomplete after a rotavirus infection, but repeated infections tend to be less severe than the original infection.

Rotavirus infection can be associated with severe dehydration in infants and children. Severe dehydration can lead to death in rare cases, so it is important to recognize and treat this complication of rotavirus infection. In addition to the symptoms of rotavirus infection discussed above, parents should be aware of the symptoms of dehydration that can occur with rotavirus infection or with other serious conditions.

Symptoms of dehydration include

• lethargy,
  • dry, cool skin,
  • absence of tears when crying,
  • dry or sticky mouth,
  • sunken eyes or sunken fontanel (the soft spot on the head of infants),
  • extreme thirst.
Return to Rotavirus

Comment from: the best gma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I"ve had the rotavirus for a week now. I was up, I kid you not, every 5 minutes at night with watery diarrhea. As soon as my exhausted body would start relaxing to sleep I was up running to the bathroom again. I was dehydrated. The only food I could keep in my body was the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast) but being diabetic that was bad for my sugar due to all the starch. My blood pressure was extremely low also. I also had horrible stomach pains and it gurgled all the time. I tell you, a couple of days there I really felt like I wasn"t going to make it. Thank goodness I did. I just went back to work today and am tired but feel okay. There is nothing the doctor can do because it"s a virus.

Comment from: Pipsta, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 4 year old son caught rotavirus at daycare (diagnosed at the lab). He had vomiting all day on day 1 and a temperature for 2 days. Then he had diarrhea 3 to 4 times a day for 7 days. He lost a lot of weight but we managed to keep his fluids up with ice blocks. I was obsessive about cleanliness, separate towels/toothbrushes/cups, etc., and the rest of the family (6 year old) did not catch it. I cleaned the toilet/hand basin every time he used it. Yes, this was a horrible virus that took it out of us all but just wanted to say that we managed it with good hygiene. We kept visitors away from the house for a week and only let him back to day care 48 hours after his last episode of diarrhea.