Rotavirus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?

What are rotavirus symptoms and signs?

The time period from initial infection to symptoms (incubation period) for rotavirus disease is around two days. Symptoms of the disease include fever, vomiting, and watery diarrhea. Abdominal pain may also occur, and infected children may have profuse watery diarrhea up to several times per day. Symptoms generally persist for three to nine days. Immunity from repeated infection is incomplete after a rotavirus infection, but repeated infections tend to be less severe than the original infection.

Rotavirus infection can be associated with severe dehydration in infants and children. Severe dehydration can lead to death in rare cases, so it is important to recognize and treat this complication of rotavirus infection. In addition to the symptoms of rotavirus infection discussed above, parents should be aware of the symptoms of dehydration that can occur with rotavirus infection or with other serious conditions.

Symptoms of dehydration include

• lethargy,
  • dry, cool skin,
  • absence of tears when crying,
  • dry or sticky mouth,
  • sunken eyes or sunken fontanel (the soft spot on the head of infants),
  • extreme thirst.
Return to Rotavirus

Comment from: virusfromhell2012, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had diarrhea so badly, it was hard not to stay hydrated with the frequency of bathroom visits. And I am talking about 10 visits to the toilet in a day. No throwing up just door number 2. My potassium was depleted and had to take supplements. I felt so weak and tired; I thought I was going to die. I could kill the person who gave this to me. I have not been resting as I should and it has prolonged my wonderful experience with this virus, now 2 weeks almost 3. I am single and live alone so I have to keep walking to the store for Gatorade and PowerAde, bananas and what not. It sucks. I have been hydrating like crazy and have even made my own rice milk drink. It is still in my system because I have a high white blood cell count. This rotavirus is a nightmare. And you can do very little about it because it is a virus. Just hydrate like crazy and call your doctor to get lab tests for potassium levels. This scared me to death. Sheesh!!!!!

Comment from: cpmusic92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I got this horrible virus when I was seven. I couldn't stop throwing up and became dehydrated. I also had severe diarrhea. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor sent me to a nearby emergency medical center. I had to have an IV and a tube down my nose. I was then taken to the hospital by ambulance and stayed there the next four days.

Stay Informed!