Rotavirus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?

What are rotavirus symptoms and signs?

The time period from initial infection to symptoms (incubation period) for rotavirus disease is around two days. Symptoms of the disease include fever, vomiting, and watery diarrhea. Abdominal pain may also occur, and infected children may have profuse watery diarrhea up to several times per day. Symptoms generally persist for three to nine days. Immunity from repeated infection is incomplete after a rotavirus infection, but repeated infections tend to be less severe than the original infection.

Rotavirus infection can be associated with severe dehydration in infants and children. Severe dehydration can lead to death in rare cases, so it is important to recognize and treat this complication of rotavirus infection. In addition to the symptoms of rotavirus infection discussed above, parents should be aware of the symptoms of dehydration that can occur with rotavirus infection or with other serious conditions.

Symptoms of dehydration include

• lethargy,
  • dry, cool skin,
  • absence of tears when crying,
  • dry or sticky mouth,
  • sunken eyes or sunken fontanel (the soft spot on the head of infants),
  • extreme thirst.
Return to Rotavirus

Comment from: lily5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I just ended 7 days of having the rotavirus. In the midst of it, it seemed like there was no end in sight, my diarrhea did not improve or let up until it finally stopped. Day 1 and 2 I had stomach pain, constant watery diarrhea (every 10-30 minutes), nausea, and vomiting. Day 3 to 7 I had constant watery diarrhea and stomach pain (gas and gurgling in my intestines constantly, even after only having a bit of liquid to drink). I was wiped out the whole time; couldn"t work, sleeping all day. I had no idea this virus even existed, let alone that there were vaccines for it! Ugh, hope to never have it again. Thank goodness for electrolyte drinks (they kept me out of the hospital), I would cut them with 1/2 water to keep things down.

Comment from: the best gma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I"ve had the rotavirus for a week now. I was up, I kid you not, every 5 minutes at night with watery diarrhea. As soon as my exhausted body would start relaxing to sleep I was up running to the bathroom again. I was dehydrated. The only food I could keep in my body was the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast) but being diabetic that was bad for my sugar due to all the starch. My blood pressure was extremely low also. I also had horrible stomach pains and it gurgled all the time. I tell you, a couple of days there I really felt like I wasn"t going to make it. Thank goodness I did. I just went back to work today and am tired but feel okay. There is nothing the doctor can do because it"s a virus.