Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of anemia?

Some patients with anemia have no symptoms. Others with anemia may feel:

• Tired
  • Fatigue easily
  • Appear pale
  • Develop palpitations (feeling of heart racing)
  • Become short of breath

Additional symptoms may include:

• Hair loss
  • Malaise (general sense of feeling unwell)
  • Worsening of heart problems

It is worth noting that if anemia is longstanding (chronic anemia), the body may adjust to low oxygen levels and the individual may not feel different unless the anemia becomes severe. On the other hand, if the anemia occurs rapidly (acute anemia), the patient may experience significant symptoms relatively quickly.

Return to Anemia

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I've had anemia for several years. I haven't had it checked, lately, but I know my iron is low because I feel dizzy, short-winded and my heart feels like it is racing. When I stand up, I literally see stars.

Comment from: rachey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I just found out a few days ago that I am dangerously anemic. I had a stress test done because I was having painful heart palpitations and shortness of breath. Doctor told me I was fine. That was at least a year ago. Now I feel tired, though I have slept well. I also have shortness of breath, which I blamed on gaining weight.