Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

What are the symptoms of anemia?

Some patients with anemia have no symptoms. Others with anemia may feel:

• Tired
  • Fatigue easily
  • Appear pale
  • Develop palpitations (feeling of heart racing)
  • Become short of breath

Additional symptoms may include:

• Hair loss
  • Malaise (general sense of feeling unwell)
  • Worsening of heart problems

It is worth noting that if anemia is longstanding (chronic anemia), the body may adjust to low oxygen levels and the individual may not feel different unless the anemia becomes severe. On the other hand, if the anemia occurs rapidly (acute anemia), the patient may experience significant symptoms relatively quickly.

Return to Anemia

Comment from: MacBeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been feeling bad for months, probably years, but it's been really bad for a few months. My symptoms have included extreme dizziness, not able to concentrate, extreme thirst, fatigue, headaches, irritability, insomnia, etc. I went to try and donate blood recently and they told me I had an extremely low hemoglobin count, 9. I then immediately googled symptoms of anemia/iron deficiency and voila! All of my symptoms explained. I've started iron supplements and will have my iron checked again in a month. I feel so relieved that it's not something more serious, but also frustrated with myself that I didn't figure this out sooner!

Comment from: LisaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My hemoglobin was 6.2 a few, weeks ago. I had to be hospitalized and have a blood transfusion. They had to give me 3 bags of blood to raise my hemoglobin to 8.1. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I had a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy. They found nothing to explain my drop in hemoglobin. Next I am having a procedure where I swallow a capsule with a camera in it. I hope they figure out what"s causing the anemia. I"m still tired, get short of breath, crave ice, and my hair has been shedding worse than normal.