Hydrocephalus - Causes

What was the cause of your hydrocephalus?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes hydrocephalus?

The causes of hydrocephalus are still not well understood. Hydrocephalus may result from inherited genetic abnormalities (such as the genetic defect that causes aqueductal stenosis) or developmental disorders (such as those associated with neural tube defects including spina bifida and encephalocele). Other possible causes include complications of premature birth such as intraventricular hemorrhage, diseases such as meningitis, tumors, traumatic head injury, or subarachnoid hemorrhage, which block the exit of CSF from the ventricles to the cisterns or eliminate the passageway for CSF into the cisterns.

Return to Hydrocephalus

Comment from: cintrone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

My name is Vangie. I'm in my twenties and I was born with hydrocephalus. I wasn't shunted until I was two months old. I have had over 12 surgeries throughout my entire life. My last two surgeries were in 2001. The first one in 2001 I almost died but God is great. I haven't has any surgeries ever since. Now, God has given me the chance to be a mother to a son. He is one years old. My son wasn't born with hydrocephalus. So have been very blessed. If I can do it so can you. Thanks for reading.

Comment from: Dr. D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had colloid cyst of the 3rd ventricle and VP (ventriculoperitoneal) shunt was placed. I had onset of symptoms of confusion, excessive somnolence and gait problem. One month later a large 3 + cm colloid cyst was excised successfully and there has been good improvement and full recovery is anticipated.