Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

What patients should consider a total knee replacement?

Total knee replacement surgery is considered for patients whose knee joints have been damaged by either progressive arthritis, trauma, or other rare destructive diseases of the joint. The most common reason for knee replacement in the United States is severe osteoarthritis of the knees.

Regardless of the cause of the damage to the joint, the resulting progressively increasing pain and stiffness and decreasing daily function lead the patient to consider total knee replacement. Decisions regarding whether or when to undergo knee replacement surgery are not easy. Patients should understand the risks as well as the benefits before making these decisions.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: Ghris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am considering knee replacement surgery. I feel that I have no choice. I have had several series of injections in my left knee. The orthopedic surgeon mentioned to me a few years ago that I needed knee surgery and it was available when I was ready. At that time, I refused. Now I am more than ready. Every time that I go out, I have to hold tight to my husband's arm. I have fallen several times. The knee gives away when I least expect it. So, when I see the doctor next week, hopefully he will get me scheduled for the knee surgery. I can't wait to be able to walk again without depending on my husband to lead me around; and for the most part be pain free.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had both knees replaced this year, left one in March 2013, the other in August 2013. I was a caregiver for my wife for the ten years prior and could not risk the surgery so I waited. My wife passed away in November 2012, so I went ahead with the surgery. My left knee was bone on bone and was already starting to shift over to the side. Surgery was on Tuesday morning, I was home on Friday, therapy at home for three weeks, rehab for three and everything is great. Second knee was replaced in August, I was in surgery on Tuesday and home Thursday morning. I had therapy at home for three weeks and rehab for the next three weeks. Everything is great! I have almost no pain, maybe once a week a bit of stiffness or soreness. I am 69 and have gotten rid of my limp, I feel great.