Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Please select the white circle:

What patients should consider a total knee replacement?

Total knee replacement surgery is considered for patients whose knee joints have been damaged by either progressive arthritis, trauma, or other rare destructive diseases of the joint. The most common reason for knee replacement in the United States is severe osteoarthritis of the knees.

Regardless of the cause of the damage to the joint, the resulting progressively increasing pain and stiffness and decreasing daily function lead the patient to consider total knee replacement. Decisions regarding whether or when to undergo knee replacement surgery are not easy. Patients should understand the risks as well as the benefits before making these decisions.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: Neveragain, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had total knee replacement (TKR) due to arthritis beneath my kneecap. I can bend at 110, but I still have tenderness and numbness around knee area. My concern is the ankle pain and tenderness around my lower leg/ankle. I experience constant throbbing, sort of like a dull continuous ache. At this point I regret having had TKR. There are instances when I take half of a pain pill. Everyone says it will get better.

Comment from: golfdog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I had it replaced in 2011 and in 2 years it came loose. I had a revision in 2013. In less than I year it too came loose. In 2014 I had another revision with different kind of knee with cone that allows the bone to grow into it. So far so good. I can't work anymore, too much bone loss and I am running out of options.