Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?

Please select the white circle:

What patients should consider a total knee replacement?

Total knee replacement surgery is considered for patients whose knee joints have been damaged by either progressive arthritis, trauma, or other rare destructive diseases of the joint. The most common reason for knee replacement in the United States is severe osteoarthritis of the knees.

Regardless of the cause of the damage to the joint, the resulting progressively increasing pain and stiffness and decreasing daily function lead the patient to consider total knee replacement. Decisions regarding whether or when to undergo knee replacement surgery are not easy. Patients should understand the risks as well as the benefits before making these decisions.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: Vani, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I tore my hamstrings (back of my left thigh and butt) 2 weeks ago while splitting. I don't feel any pain while walking, running or dancing hard, I don't notice any bruise nor swelling either. Pain only bothers me when I stretch my leg. It is pretty frustrating for me since I have to stretch to get flexibility but clearly I cannot at the moment. I do RICE protocol but I haven't felt any better. I hope my hamstring would be healed soon.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

While I was taking chemotherapy for breast cancer, I awakened one morning with severe swelling in my right leg. I called my oncologist and he ordered a Doppler and a CT scan. Both tests showed many blood clots. I was prescribed Xarelto for deep vein thrombosis and told to go home and elevate my leg and wrap it in hot, wet towels. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who performed a venogram. The surgeon told me that I had a totally blocked inferior vena cava, and there was nothing he could do for me. That was 3 months ago, and my leg is still swollen, sore, itchy, red, etc. I am very disheartened that I may have to live the rest of my life in this condition. I have a problem believing that nothing can be done to alleviate my condition. I hope to get another opinion.