Heat Rash - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your heat rash?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of heat rash in children and adults?

The common symptoms of heat rash are red bumps on the skin, and an itchy or prickly feeling to the skin. These are due to inflammation of the superficial layers of the skin and the prickly sensation is similar to the feeling of mild sunburn.

The symptoms of heat rash are the same in infants and adults; however, since an infant can't complain about the rash sensation, he or she may be fussy.

Return to Heat Rash

Comment from: misty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I get heat rash under my breasts and crevices of my upper legs near the groin. I clean the areas and then apply dry corn starch, 2 days and it"s gone.

Comment from: FutebolMan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I think I brought on a case on chronic hives (hives or heat rash lasting more than several weeks or reoccurring). I'm pretty sure I brought them on over the course of a month or so by playing soccer at an indoor place for hours where it was very hot inside. They start small and are intensely itchy and then they turn into weals, as they are called. The weals are raised skin and the small areas spread out like little mountain ranges. Then they can connect together. I believe firmly that as the skin gets really hot like when you play soccer or sports for too long, it can bring them on gradually long after the skin cools down. I guess the key is to not let your skin see too much heat or friction from clothing, which is almost impossible for most of us. Here's how I manage them for now. Cold showers, colder the better. I only use steroid and fragrance free soaps such as Aveeno oatmeal bars, etc. Eczema skin creams such as Aveeno or Neosporin do help with the itchy sensations. Cetaphil lotion is wonderful, fragrance free! All free and clear laundry detergent. Now, the prescriptions: prednisone did not help. I wouldn't take unless you absolutely had to. Triamcinolone topical steroid can help but do not get into the sun with this on your skin or you will erupt and want to die; true story. This steroid stays on your skin for a long time so be careful with it. Clobetasol is the strongest topical steroid apparently and it does seem to help break down the hives, but it's not miracle and I am not sure if this is worth using. You definitely don't want to use this while exposed to heat or sun or you could have adverse reactions. Get blood work done and watch your diet for allergic reactions. That's what I am doing now to rule out more serious health threats.