Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your case of colitis?

Please select the white circle:

How is colitis treated?

The treatment of colitis depends upon the cause.

Initial therapy, regardless of the cause is to stabilize the patient's vital signs and helping control pain, if needed. Rehydration may occur by mouth, however, for those patients who are markedly dry, who are unable to tolerate fluids by mouth, or have electrolyte abnormalities, intravenous fluids may be required.

Return to Colitis

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was put on entocort, asacol, bentyl, and antidiarrheal medications for microscopic colitis. I'm now just on the entocort, bentyl, and antidiarrheal meds. When I have flares, I have to up my entorort from one pill a day to 3, and I have to take 6 asacols a day.

Comment from: lovebugs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I was diagnosed in December of 2013 with ulcerated colitis. I had lower left abdominal pain, and severe bloody diarrhea. I had it so bad. I could not urinate because I was so dehydrated. I spent five days in the hospital, had a colon scan and a colonoscopy. Along with an IV drip, I received two antibiotics, Flagyl and Cipro. I cannot have anything that has dairy in it and I make sure I drink plenty of water. I still get flare ups but they are controlled.