Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for a broken toe?

A broken toe can be cared for at home by decreasing the pain and swelling using rest, ice, and elevation; allowing the fracture to heal properly. In certain situations, a broken toe may need medical care such as reduction (putting the toe back into place), casting, or splinting the toe.

Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke the big toe in my right foot years ago. I received no treatment and it seemed healed. Last year, the same toe broke again 'spontaneously'. I just had a surgery 2 weeks ago to fuse it as the pain was increasing and it was sending off arthritic bone growth (looked like a bunion). I am in cast for 3 months and recovering at home now.

Comment from: Signhandsnyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am one among many with a whacked pinky left foot toe. I saw stars when I knocked my pinky toe on the sofa leg. No doctor, because I don"t need a painful medical bill along with the toe. My toe was swollen and black and blue. I am taking arnica, using ice and soaking it in Epsom salts. I am sure it is broken. The best solution is to keep off the foot and elevate it as much as possible. Difficult to do but I am self-employed. I wear Birkenstock shoes so, I am able to get around. I also taped the toe with its neighbor. I believe there are things in our life that happen and with a foot injury it might be telling us to slow down.