Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for a broken toe?

A broken toe can be cared for at home by decreasing the pain and swelling using rest, ice, and elevation; allowing the fracture to heal properly. In certain situations, a broken toe may need medical care such as maneuvering the toe back into place (reduction), casting, or splinting the toe.

Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: Texas Star, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

When I was 15, a school piano tipped over and landed on my big toe. For the first couple of minutes, I didn't feel any pain. But about 5 minutes later, it was intense! It was the worst pain I have ever felt even to this day. The toe was absolutely shattered and partially amputated. The surgeon was quite concerned that he wouldn't be able to save it, but he promised to do his best. He did an excellent job considering that there wasn't really much to work with. I wore a walking cast for about 6 weeks after surgery, and the toe was set/fixed with a removable steel pin that the doctor simply pulled out like a shish kebab skewer! That was a bit painful for a few moments, like a burning sensation, but it was over quickly. I then wore ordinary open toed shoes or sandals (always with socks) for a few more weeks until the nail and bone had fully healed. The damage was very severe, but I retained most of the nerve function, most sensation and most importantly, the ability to walk quite normally. Now 35 years later I still have the toe. The middle joint doesn't bend, but it does flex and bend at the foot so I can walk. Surprisingly, I have little arthritis pain in the toe itself, perhaps because there really isn't an actual joint in the toe to get arthritic. I was no longer able to dance ballet after the injury, but that is a small price to pay to be able to walk normally; and hey, I can still country dance and wear my cowgirl boots so it's not all lost! Ironically, just today I stumped my second toe on the same foot (on the heel of my cowgirl boots, when I got up in the middle of the night) and broke it. Wouldn't you know it! Those same boots feel real good on that bunged up toe when I wear them. Those boots are almost as good as that walking cast and space boot I had for my big toe 35 years ago. Isn't that something!

Comment from: Kevin, Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had broken my pinky toe. There were 2 blackish blue bruises on my toe. I woke up next day and watched a blue color proceeding across other toes an up foot. I went to the hospital. This was of no concern they said, but the problem get worse. Treatment was just taping it to the next toe and I was told not take it off for 2 months, but the doctor gave me the tape roll. No other instructions, no elevation or anything, just that it will heal in about 2 months. Only instruction was to follow up with a podiatrist.