Hepatitis B - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hepatitis B?

Please select the black square:

What is new in the treatment of hepatitis B virus?

New agents are under development to treat hepatitis B. Many of these are nucleoside/nucleotide analogues that investigators hope will be more effective than older agents. Experts also are working on treatment guidelines and the use of multi-drug therapy. Vaccination remains the key to preventing hepatitis B and holds the most promise for reducing disease burden.

Return to Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)

Comment from: Phil, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

Back in the 1980s and 90s I donated blood to Life Source as frequently as possible. However, in 1997 or 1998 they contacted me and told me they could no longer use my blood because I had contracted the hepatitis B virus. My doctor told me I probably contracted it through my husband who had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I was his main caregiver and foolishly never used gloves while handling his feeding tube (stoma) which sometimes bled. Now in 2011 I'm still feeling fine, and even though I can't donate blood anymore, was told my own blood could be used if I should need a transfusion.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I was diagnosed as hepatitis b carrier after tests were done to investigate fatigue. I have chronic hepatitis b with fibrosis of my liver already present. I started treatment of Limivudine which reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus became resistant and I am now on Adedovir which has again reduced the viral load. I suffer permanent fatigue and insomnia but undergo regular checks and ultrasound scans to monitor my condition.