Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?

The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy somewhat depend on the cause. Typically, peripheral neuropathy affects the nerves of sensation. As a result, patients affected by peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. Most commonly this is in the feet and/or hands. This can cause tingling, numbness, and/or burning in the toes or fingers.

When shingles causes peripheral neuropathy, the particular nerve affected causes a very localized burning and itching sensation. This could be, for examples, in the side of the chest, the face, the buttock, etc.

Return to Peripheral Neuropathy

Comment from: noone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have peripheral neuropathy, with burning feet and calves, tingling, numbness, and shooting pains in fingers and toes. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I am only 37 years old. It started almost 3 years ago. Face also tingles. Right arm has gone numb already. I have terrible headaches, blurred vision, panic, and anxiety. Life is awful. I just want to stay home all the time. No joy, and no purpose.

Comment from: sarah1938, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 6 weeks ago. My only pain was in my knee. I have since seen an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed me with osteoarthritis in my knee. After a cortisone shot my knee pain is gone. I don't doubt that I do have peripheral neuropathy however I have gained 5 lb. since being on gabapentin and don't feel any different. Of course my only pain was in my knee. I will be talking to my neurologist about the gabapentin.