Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?

The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy somewhat depend on the cause. Typically, peripheral neuropathy affects the nerves of sensation. As a result, patients affected by peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. Most commonly this is in the feet and/or hands. This can cause tingling, numbness, and/or burning in the toes or fingers.

When shingles causes peripheral neuropathy, the particular nerve affected causes a very localized burning and itching sensation. This could be, for examples, in the side of the chest, the face, the buttock, etc.

Return to Peripheral Neuropathy

Comment from: stillhopefull, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had swelling in my legs for years and extreme pain when standing and prickling pain in my legs when I would lay down at night. I thought it was just from being on my feet. Then 6 months ago I started getting tingling in all my fingers and toes at the same time and numbing would run up both legs and arms and I would get such a heavy feeling; like the most intense feeling of "going to sleep" I had ever experienced. It would dissipate after sometime however I would be so fatigued I would sleep for hours. I thought I had back issues. I got so fatigued I lost my voice, have full time care to care for my home, my dogs and myself. At times my right leg will go dead and not take a step. A few times the numbness went as high as my face and I find it hard to swallow and my tongue went into a muscle spasm. I trip constantly. One day while driving it hit my right hand went up and down to my right foot and has never recovered. I can't feel if I have lost a shoe on my travertine floors in my house. It has settled in my hands now and I can't wash my own hair. I also started getting migraines 4 to 5 times a week. One doctor told me it was all in my head. I knew it was not. I received a referral to Stanford. I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, however I don't have diabetes, have tested negative for autoimmune s and my B12 levels are great. On top of this I have lower back and neck issues which I take medication for. The only option so far is to take more medication but I am 45 years old, own my own business and not working is not an option for me. The pain in my hands and legs/feet during the day is getting so bad and I am not able to sit a lot. I used to be a very fast typist and now it seems I spend most of my day correcting errors and it honestly feels like it has affected my brain. I have also been constipated for many years and that continues but I also find that I am losing control of my bowels and urinary tract. I can't feel 80% of my body, or I feel as if I am being suffocated.

Comment from: overmedicated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have pain from my low back, butt, leg, and foot because of peripheral neuropathy. There is numbness and severe nerve pain all the time. It either feels burning hot, or freezing cold. I have bowel and bladder problems and sexual dysfunction. I took Neurontin for a long time. It made me gain 30 pounds and made it very difficult to think clearly. I weaned off that after 4 years and changed to Cymbalta. I also take morphine. I have a lot of side effects from these drugs.

Stay Informed!