Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?

The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy somewhat depend on the cause. Typically, peripheral neuropathy affects the nerves of sensation. As a result, patients affected by peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. Most commonly this is in the feet and/or hands. This can cause tingling, numbness, and/or burning in the toes or fingers.

When shingles causes peripheral neuropathy, the particular nerve affected causes a very localized burning and itching sensation. This could be, for examples, in the side of the chest, the face, the buttock, etc.

Return to Peripheral Neuropathy

Comment from: aide, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 38 years old and been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. It started 2 years ago when at night I started to get pins and needles, pain and burning in my hands and feet. This has progressed up into my calves, and I now get numbness, feet and hands go cold as stone, bottom of my back aches, and I get pins and needles most of the day in my back, I went to the doctor and got prescribed gabapentin. This sent me suicidal, and the doctor changed it to duloxetine 30 mg which has worked reasonably well. Although I have had to have the dosage upped it still works, at the moment I am on 80 mg a day and I think it's time to see the doctor again as pain is starting to get to me again. The worst part of this disability is that I get so angry and wound up because the pain never stops and nobody believes how bad it gets but on the plus side I"ve still got a job.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 01

My peripheral neuropathy started 20 years ago. My first symptom was drop foot, then a feeling of socks on in bed. Next was the loss of nerves in both the arms and legs. I"m now having trouble with balance. I"ve fallen a few times even using a walker. I have tried all the medicines with no help.