Peripheral Neuropathy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral neuropathy?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy?

The symptoms of peripheral neuropathy somewhat depend on the cause. Typically, peripheral neuropathy affects the nerves of sensation. As a result, patients affected by peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. Most commonly this is in the feet and/or hands. This can cause tingling, numbness, and/or burning in the toes or fingers.

When shingles causes peripheral neuropathy, the particular nerve affected causes a very localized burning and itching sensation. This could be, for examples, in the side of the chest, the face, the buttock, etc.

Return to Peripheral Neuropathy

Comment from: JCKC, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had been on an antibiotic for dental work shortly before I began experiencing severe cramping and bloody diarrhea. Tests for C. difficile came back negative and after losing 10 lb. in two weeks and given several IVs in the doctor's office, I was referred to a gastroenterologist. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I am on two medications (one permanently). My cramping and diarrhea have cleared up and I am starting to taper off the steroid I was prescribed. I had been in excellent health prior to this and because I don't know what caused the initial flare up, am always scared that it will happen again. Good luck to all that are struggling with colitis.

Comment from: Marci02, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My husband received his very first flu and pneumonia shot in November 2014. He became very sick to his stomach in December. He was sick for a full 7 days, out of work, had vomiting and diarrhea, and was weak. He went to the doctor, who said he has had a virus, and that he should improve. By March 2015 he still wasn't well. April 8th he had so much pain in his limbs that he was crying and went to Urgent Care where his lipase levels were elevated. He was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. He could not walk on his own in the hospital where his doctor told him he was anxious and that he would address his neurological issues at a later date. It was downhill from there, unable to walk, pain in extremities paralysis in the feet, legs and around the mouth, with eyelid droop. Still no answers and no concerned doctor. I fired the doctor, got him into physical therapy and found a new care provider that sent him to a neurologist who did a thorough work up and finally had a diagnosis of Guillain-Barre on Aug 8, 2015! What a nightmare. He continues to suffer with polyneuropathy and is always in pain.