Rhabdomyolysis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rhabdomyolysis?

What are the symptoms of rhabdomyolysis?

RhRhabdomyolysis may not cause any symptoms at all. Muscle aches and pain (myalgia), stiffness, and muscle weakness can occur with rhabdomyolysis, and is especially common with severe muscle damage. Rhabdomyolysis may cause a darkening of the urine color. Myoglobin is released from the muscles when they break down and is excreted into the urine. This can cause a red or cola color of the urine.

Return to Rhabdomyolysis

Comment from: Gracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 48-year-old female who lives a very healthy and active lifestyle. Two years ago I started feeling some pressure in my chest. Not pain but pressure. I was doing hot yoga about three times a week in addition to spinning classes. After going to the emergency room and several tests later it was determined that I had rhabdomyolysis. My creatine phosphokinase (CPK) levels were around 1100. I was admitted and treated with IV fluids. When I was discharged I was told to just drink a lot of fluids. Since then I do experience some pressure if I do any kind of hard cardio, and I get over heated. I am afraid to do any kind of workouts due to this. I have been told this can reoccur anytime. I can now only do light walking and regular yoga.

Comment from: patevan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a 41 year old male who is overweight and diabetic. I decided it was time to start exercising. I did a long walk and then the next day (while in pain from walking) I was up and down a ladder decorating a house for Christmas. By that evening I could barely get out of a chair or even pull myself up. I had to have people help me get up because it felt like my muscles had no energy. Once I was standing, I was able to walk normal. That evening I had gotten up a couple times to go to the bathroom. The third time (at 3:00am) I walked to the kitchen because I was really thirsty. I took a drink and then before I knew it, it was as if someone flicked a switched and turned every muscle in my body off. I immediately went limp and fell quickly into my garbage can and then onto the hard, cold tile. I could barely move and still could not understand what had just happened to me. I then noticed blood dripping down from my elbow and realized I must have hit it against my counter as I fell. I slowly tried to get up and realized my muscles were not going to cooperate with me. So I then managed to slide over to my counter and lift myself up with my weak arms but still could not get up onto my feet. So I slid my way to the bedroom to my cellphone to call my girlfriend. I fell 3 more times trying to walk (and hurt my ankle and knee) I went to the emergency room and they told me I had rhabdomyolysis and I was admitted into the hospital for 3 days to get all my levels back to normal. It is a pretty horrible feeling when every muscle in your body just shuts down, it is nothing to mess around with. The hospital also blamed it on the simvastatin.