Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Please select the white circle:

What are HSP symptoms and signs?

Classically, HSP causes a purple-appearing skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys (nephritis) can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding is more common in children than in adults. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Symptoms usually last approximately a month. Recurrences are not frequent but do occur.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn't get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn't work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn't hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial.

Comment from: vampiregirl7788, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My mom who is 35 years old now, was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) at the age of 9. She has told me so much about it, but I was still wanting more knowledge. That's why I am doing more research on the topic. She's been amazing. She fought through the disease like the woman I look up to today. I love her, and so glad she inspired me. She told me about the rash, and all the symptoms she had to deal with. She told me that she had to deal with weakness, and fever. The doctors kept telling her it was the flu, but nope. They confused it with Rocky Mountain spotted fever and meningococcal disease. I am kind of a science geek, so I went deeper in the disease and found amazing facts. Penicillin, amoxicillin, and ampicillin, which she is allergic to, could've caused the disease to blossom in her young body. I hope all of you guys who know people, or yourselves, have experienced HSP, I hope you live a long and happy life. I love you all.