Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Please select the black triangle:

What are HSP symptoms and signs?

Classically, HSP causes a purple-appearing skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys (nephritis) can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding is more common in children than in adults. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Symptoms usually last approximately a month. Recurrences are not frequent but do occur.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura just a few days ago. I'm a 30 year old female. The first thing I noticed was tiny red dots on my lower legs. I first thought it was just razor burn so I got a new razor, but then it continued to spread. About the same time I started to notice that my ankle was a little bit tight. The rash spread with each day and the right ankle kept feeling like it was getting harder and harder. A large purple bruise-like area appeared around that ankle. Within about two weeks, my ankle was so swollen I could hardly walk. I was in agonizing pain just to stand up. I started on prednisone the next day and the ankle seemed to feel better by the next morning. I was so excited that I was able to get up and move around but that evening it started to hurt again. I have found that staying off your feet and icing the joints helps. Now I am extremely itchy though. I don't know if that is in anyway related or not.

Comment from: cdemchak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 35, I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) last year. I hurt, my joints hurt a lot and back when I was younger I was getting a lot of upper respiratory infections. I went to the hospital for the rash on my legs, and it was working its way up my legs and was very itchy. I thought it was poison ivy but the doctor told me that it was not and all he told me was to take Benadryl and the spots went away. Now I have joint pain and from time to time abdominal pain to the point that I want to cry. So far I have not had anything happen with my kidneys, but I do have the swelling in my feet and ankles. My lower back hurts and I have gotten blisters on my legs and they just pop up instead of the rash.