Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

Please select the black triangle:

What are HSP symptoms and signs?

Classically, HSP causes a purple-appearing skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys (nephritis) can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding is more common in children than in adults. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Symptoms usually last approximately a month. Recurrences are not frequent but do occur.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: cdemchak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am 35, I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) last year. I hurt, my joints hurt a lot and back when I was younger I was getting a lot of upper respiratory infections. I went to the hospital for the rash on my legs, and it was working its way up my legs and was very itchy. I thought it was poison ivy but the doctor told me that it was not and all he told me was to take Benadryl and the spots went away. Now I have joint pain and from time to time abdominal pain to the point that I want to cry. So far I have not had anything happen with my kidneys, but I do have the swelling in my feet and ankles. My lower back hurts and I have gotten blisters on my legs and they just pop up instead of the rash.

Comment from: lola, 25-34 Female Published: January 06

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn't get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn't work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn't hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial.