Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

What are HSP symptoms and signs?

Classically, HSP causes a purple-appearing skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys (nephritis) can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding is more common in children than in adults. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Symptoms usually last approximately a month. Recurrences are not frequent but do occur.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: Jillnz, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My son had a bad case of Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) at age 5. It was awful (pain, swelling, and not being able to move or walk), and his spots turned into blood blisters. I feel it really took a year before he was back to himself. He had protein in urine and had regular blood pressure (BP) checks that seemed good. He never got it back but at age 17 he developed high BP. We did all the tests and everything came back normal including his kidneys. He sees a cardiologist 1 or 2 times a year for a stress test. He is on 2 types of medicines to help control it. He is now 22. He is very fit, healthy, eats healthy and high BP does not run in the family. We have no idea of the cause, I would think it's from the HSP but we can't find anyone else that this has happened to.

Comment from: Racquel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 44 year female who was bitten by a brown recluse spider. After a day of intense itching, I developed the Henoch-Schonlein purpura spots. That was 3 years ago. I still suffer with my headaches, stomach cramps, joint pain and kidney issues. Occasionally I still get the spots.