Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your Henoch-Schonlein purpura?

What are HSP symptoms and signs?

Classically, HSP causes a purple-appearing skin rash, pain in the abdomen, and joint inflammation (arthritis). Not all features need be present for the diagnosis. The rash of skin lesions appears in gravity-dependent areas, such as the legs. The joints most frequently affected with pain and swelling are the ankles and the knees. Patients with HSP can develop fever. Inflammation of the blood vessels in the kidneys (nephritis) can cause blood and/or protein in the urine. Abdominal pain and gastrointestinal bleeding is more common in children than in adults. Serious kidney complications are infrequent but can occur.

Symptoms usually last approximately a month. Recurrences are not frequent but do occur.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura when I was 5 an am now in my 40s. We didn't have Google back then to research purpura like we do now, but I remember growing up, my parents made sure it was part of my health history. I had a severe case and my parents almost lost me. I lost a ton of weight and remember not being able to stand and nurses trying to get me to stand on a scale in the hospital. I remember ice baths for a high 105 temperature. The rash had spread from the tips of my toes to the roof of my mouth and the doctors had told my parents that if it went to my eyes I could go blind and to hope that it didn't go to my brain. Miraculously I recovered and have had no recurrences fortunately.

Comment from: speduk8rs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was a 13 year old, I developed a rash on my legs, my mother treated it as poison oak. After a week of the rash, my mom had me stay with one of my sisters. I had severe stomach pains so I was given aspirin for the pain. I stayed on aspirin for about 2 weeks and one morning I woke up sick to my stomach when I went to the bathroom I started to pass blood through my rectum and throwing blood up at the same time. I was hospitalized for 6 months before a diagnosis was made. I had one of the worst cases seen in that hospital. I had to go to a kidney doctor for a year. Then when I was in college I developed a rash, I went to a dermatologist who told me I didn"t have Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP), he did a biopsy and when the results came back, sure enough it was HSP. This time it was a milder case than the first time. I have a scar on my kidney and am being watched to make sure my kidneys work properly. The pain is so horrible, that I had to have very strong pain killers to be able to let covers touch my skin. Now I am in my 50s, I have scarring on my Kidneys.