Allergies - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your allergies?

What are common allergic conditions and what are allergy symptoms and signs?

The parts of the body that are prone to allergic symptoms include the eyes, nose, lungs, skin, and gastrointestinal tract. Although the various allergic diseases may appear different, they all result from an exaggerated immune response to foreign substances in sensitive individuals. The following are brief descriptions of common allergic disorders.

Return to Allergy (Allergies)

Comment from: drifty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had interstitial cystitis (IC) for about 8 to 10 years. No real urinary problems until the doctor inserted a small dose of Botox into my bladder back in February 2015 to help with the IC. I've had no improvement with the IC like some folks that had the Botox injection. So now it's a year and a half since the Botox and I didn't have any incontinence problems until the Botox. My urologist doesn't understand why the Botox caused this problem. He said the Botox dose he gave me was just a small amount and would usually wear off in about 4 months. The Incontinence has been a real negative life change.

Comment from: cats&dogs, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

I took two Valium pills prescribed by my doctor 45 minutes before to lessen anxiety, but they did not do a thing. The testing doctor says ok, the lidocaine will take effect so you will only have to get through the first needle then it will be numb. Wrong, the lidocaine did not work either. I am apparently immune to most pain easing drugs and I really needed them because I am very anxious about medical procedures. The slight pressure as the spinal tap is done is very misleading if you are feeling all the nerve endings screaming. It was a deep ache that made me almost nauseous and every time they moved or relocated the needle it was agony. I told the doctor at one point it felt like he hit my left kidney and he seemed to think it was humorous and just said 'gee, I hope not!' It didn't seem to matter that I was extremely upset with the whole thing. I guess I'm just very unlucky in that neither Valium (my sister says it does not work on her either) or the lidocaine is effective on me. I have had IV Valium for dental procedures before that did work beautifully, so never dreamed the pill form wouldn't do just as well. It was the longest 1/2 hour of my life.