Group B Strep - Treatments

What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for group B strep?

For women who test positive for GBS during pregnancy and for those with certain risk factors for developing or transmitting GBS infection during pregnancy, intravenous antibiotics are generally recommended at the time of labor (before delivery). Pregnant women who are not aware of their group B strep status should be given antibiotics during labor if they develop preterm labor (less than 37 weeks gestation), if they have membrane rupture for 18 hours or longer, or if they develop fever during labor. Penicillin or ampicillin are the recommended antibiotics. The administration of antibiotics has been shown to significantly decrease GBS infection in newborns. If a pregnant carrier of GBS receives intravenous antibiotics prior to delivery, her baby has a one in 4,000 chance of developing GBS infection. Without antibiotics, her baby has a one in 200 chance of developing GBS infection.

In neonates or adults who develop invasive GBS infection, intravenous antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment as well.

Return to Group B Strep

Comment from: A loving Father, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 14

My Sons name is Jaxton. He was born Dec. 7, 2011. We were so blessed and excited to have him here. He was born perfectly healthy and was so beautiful. We were able to hold him for 4 hours before he started to wheeze for air. The doctors took him to the NICU and found that he had a groupies strep blood infection. My wife had previously tested negative for this disease a few weeks prior. My little boy fought so hard against the disease but it was too much. His little heart gave out on December 12, 2011. He lived for 5 days. I am in so much pain and agony because me or my wife didn't know of the severe consequences of this disease. I feel that all parents and mothers need to be educated more fully on serious things such as GBS. This saddens me most because I know there is a good chance my little boy could be laying by me right now if my wife was given the antibiotic. We love him and miss him so much. But we do know that we will be able to see him again one day and hold him in our arms.

Comment from: Happy girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had group B strep (GBS) for a few years now, I believe it started on my skin. I got an itchy rash near my bikini line, which I thought was hot tub folliculitis. It spread to my genitals and soon after I began to have UTI (urinary tract infection) like symptoms. Then I got hemorrhoids, then chest pain. I was tired and weak all the time. Then my joints started to ache. I was bloated. I thought, wow thirties are tough! I finally got insurance after two years of this. I found out it was group B strep causing all of it! I did a round of amoxicillin and it was gone. Six months later it came back! More antibiotics and it has gone again. Two months later back again. I"m on 14 days of Augmentin, it"s supposed to be a little stronger. We"ll see! I hope it works. By the way, I"m a healthy 33 year old with one child. No signs of GBS when I delivered her.