Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Please select the black triangle:

Who is a candidate for total hip replacement?

Total hip replacements are performed most commonly because of progressively worsening of severe arthritis in the hip joint. The most common type of arthritis leading to total hip replacement is degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis) of the hip joint. This type of arthritis is generally seen with aging, congenital abnormality of the hip joint, or prior trauma to the hip joint. Other conditions leading to total hip replacement include bony fractures of the hip joint, rheumatoid arthritis, and death (aseptic necrosis, or avascular necrosis) of the hip bone. Hip bone necrosis can be caused by fracture of the hip, drugs (such as chronic use of prednisone and prednisolone), alcoholism, and systemic diseases (such as systemic lupus erythematosus).

The progressively intense chronic pain, together with impairment of daily function including walking, climbing stairs, and even arising from a sitting position, eventually become reasons to consider a total hip replacement. Because replaced hip joints can fail with time, whether and when to perform total hip replacement are not easy decisions, especially in younger patients. Replacement is generally considered after pain becomes so severe that it impedes normal function despite use of anti-inflammatory and/or pain medications. A total hip joint replacement is usually an elective procedure, which means that it is an option selected among other alternatives and can be scheduled on a routine basis. It is a decision that is made with an understanding of the potential risks and benefits. A thorough understanding of both the procedure and anticipated outcome is an important part of the decision-making process with the orthopedic surgeon.

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: Wantmylifeback, (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 35 years old I have avascular necrosis in both hips. I need a bilateral hip replacement. I'm ready for my life back.

Comment from: joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had horrid groin pain starting in early 2010, and I ended up with anterior hip replacement in October 2010. Mine has been a nightmare. Five months post operation I was great and it all went downhill. I ended up with femoral nerve damage, IT (iliotibial) band damage down side of leg, and shorter leg. Often I wish I had my old pain back. Only thing I don't have is groin pain but everything else is terrible. I'm 77.