Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?

Most women with uterine fibroids have no symptoms.

However, abnormal uterine bleeding is the most common symptom of a fibroid. If the tumors are near the uterine lining, or interfere with the blood flow to the lining, they can cause heavy periods, painful periods, prolonged periods or spotting between menses. Women with excessive bleeding due to fibroids may develop iron deficiency anemia. Uterine fibroids that are degenerating can sometimes cause severe, localized pain.

Fibroids can also cause a number of symptoms depending on their size, location within the uterus, and how close they are to adjacent pelvic organs. Large fibroids can cause:

• pressure,
  • pelvic pain,
  • pressure on the bladder with frequent or even obstructed urination, and
  • pressure on the rectum with painful or difficult defecation.

While fibroids do not interfere with ovulation, some studies suggest that they may impair fertility and lead to poorer pregnancy outcomes. In particular, submucosal fibroids that deform the inner uterine cavity are most strongly associated with decreases in fertility. Occasionally, fibroids are the cause of recurrent miscarriages. If they are not removed in these cases, the woman may not be able to sustain a pregnancy.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: Tiredoflookingpreg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am a 44 year old female and have fibroids. I do not bleed heavy or cramp during that time of the month. The only problem I have is frequent urination and a protruding stomach (looks to be about 6 months pregnant). I am wondering, at my age, should I just have the fibroids removed or should I have a full hysterectomy. Whatever the case, I would love to look myself again, as I am a very petite woman.

Comment from: JOHNSON, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 47 years old female, diagnosed with several fibroids. I have irregular periods, pain and bloating of stomach, I am so miserable at times, can't sleep because of feeling bloated, shortness of breath and leg and back pain. I was scheduled for a myomectomy about a year ago, potassium level was too low to go to surgery. I am in the process of finding a doctor to go on and get surgery. I just want my life back, tired of feeling this way!