Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your uterine fibroids?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?

Most women with uterine fibroids have no symptoms.

However, abnormal uterine bleeding is the most common symptom of a fibroid. If the tumors are near the uterine lining, or interfere with the blood flow to the lining, they can cause heavy periods, painful periods, prolonged periods or spotting between menses. Women with excessive bleeding due to fibroids may develop iron deficiency anemia. Uterine fibroids that are degenerating can sometimes cause severe, localized pain.

Fibroids can also cause a number of symptoms depending on their size, location within the uterus, and how close they are to adjacent pelvic organs. Large fibroids can cause:

• pressure,
  • pelvic pain,
  • pressure on the bladder with frequent or even obstructed urination, and
  • pressure on the rectum with painful or difficult defecation.

While fibroids do not interfere with ovulation, some studies suggest that they may impair fertility and lead to poorer pregnancy outcomes. In particular, submucosal fibroids that deform the inner uterine cavity are most strongly associated with decreases in fertility. Occasionally, fibroids are the cause of recurrent miscarriages. If they are not removed in these cases, the woman may not be able to sustain a pregnancy.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: scarygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was just diagnosed with a fibroid that is 9 cm, the doctor said that it is like I am 4 month pregnant. He said that it is the size of a new born baby"s head. He said that I have to have a hysterectomy but I am very scared to do this. I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The pain is not that bad and is only during that time of the month. The bleeding is very bad during the second day. I leave work because the bleeding is very heavy with clots the size of a chicken breast. I know that I have to have the surgery soon. I am so mad because I have my routine checkup every year and this was never caught, I can"t believe that the doctor did not see this, I mean this fibroid is way too big.

Comment from: momoffour, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed a year ago with adenomyosis which caused similar symptoms. I had an endometrial ablation done years ago so I haven"t had a period since. Prior to the diagnosis of adenomyosis I had severe back pain around to my hips and down both thighs, pressure on my bowels and increased urine leaking. It was so bad I would lie in bed and cry. My gynecologist had me try the NuvaRing which did help but gave me horrible vaginal drainage constantly. I ended up in the emergency room recently with such severe abdominal pain that I couldn"t stand up. They diagnosed me with fibroids and I will see a new gynecologist this week. I am 47, have 4 (one step) beautiful kids and am considering having my uterus removed.