Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Please select the black square:

What is the cause of keloids?

Doctors do not understand exactly why keloids form. Changes in the cellular signals that control growth and proliferation may be related to the process of keloid formation, but these changes have not yet been characterized scientifically.

Return to Keloid

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I don't normally get keloid scar but I had my thyroid removed and ended up with the worst looking red scar across my neck. No hiding it or wearing necklaces because it feels like a bad burn or feels prickly most of the time. I've left mine as I don't won't to risk making it worse, and really worse things could happen to me!

Comment from: Marsha, Female Published: November 06

When I was 46 I woke up at 3 am on my left side, looking up. The room was spinning. I moved to my right side in a fetal position until I felt better. I woke my husband. I said I thought I had a stroke. We sat outside until I felt better. I went to the emergency room the next morning. They diagnosed me with vertigo. I did not have another episode until I was 62. I was swimming (elementary backstroke) in a pool. I did not concentrate. I swam into the end of the pool, hit my head, and immediately got vertigo. I have been to an ENT, also physical therapist. They worked with me for 3 weeks. It got better. I still have vertigo almost every day, if I look up just a little. I have been having scans for an unrelated health issue. I am having a PET scan next week. I will have to look straight up while I am on my back. My primary care physician has given me patches for motion sickness and 2 Valium. I am very anxious. The last time I had a scan I got vertigo, yelled, and cried. It is awful.