Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

What is the cause of keloids?

Doctors do not understand exactly why keloids form. Changes in the cellular signals that control growth and proliferation may be related to the process of keloid formation, but these changes have not yet been characterized scientifically.

Return to Keloid

Comment from: eagleswings311, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After I had aortic valve replacement surgery in 2014, the keloid appeared. Since my skin is a lovely shade of brown, my keloid is not pink. It is darker than my skin color. Sometimes it itches, at other moments, there is some pain. I have also noticed that some of the darker places peel. I tried receiving injections from a dermatologist, but the treatment was too painful to continue. I have tried rubbing the following on it, but to no avail; petroleum jelly, shea butter with oatmeal in lotion form, vitamin E, and Derma-E scar gel. It appears that I am wasting money. If there is a way to shrink, lighten or even do away with this keloid, without endangering my artificial heart valve, I would like to know what it is.

Comment from: infoseeker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My mother (68), vibrant and energetic, full of life got sick with pneumonia that wouldn't go away so during a CT scan they found the abdominal aortic aneurysm. A surgical repair was done and so began the nausea, vomiting and intermittent abdominal and back pain. Four weeks later she is still having the same issues. None before the surgery, only after. More tests have uncovered ulcer at the top of the stomach and bottom of esophagus, nine places in her stomach that were biopsied and a mass on her thyroid and adrenal glands. Not sure how to take the nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. I'm not sure if it's more a mental thing or actually an issue that needs to be constantly pushed with the doctors. She has been back to the hospital for a 4 day stay and countless scans to be told all is okay if she takes the ulcer medicine and makes herself eat to coat the stomach, which she seems to not want to.