Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the cause of keloids?

Doctors do not understand exactly why keloids form. Changes in the cellular signals that control growth and proliferation may be related to the process of keloid formation, but these changes have not yet been characterized scientifically.

Return to Keloid

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was walking in a poorly lit garage after having my eyes dilated. I didn't see the concrete tire stopper and tripped. I felt both a pop and a tearing sensation as I was flying through the air. I'm generally pretty stoic but when I landed on the ground I was in so much pain all I could do with writhe and moan. The pressure of the concrete floor on the back of my thigh was too painful to bear so I turned onto my stomach. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room where I was diagnosed (after an MRI) with a full thickness tear of 3 hamstring tendons.

Comment from: eagleswings311, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After I had aortic valve replacement surgery in 2014, the keloid appeared. Since my skin is a lovely shade of brown, my keloid is not pink. It is darker than my skin color. Sometimes it itches, at other moments, there is some pain. I have also noticed that some of the darker places peel. I tried receiving injections from a dermatologist, but the treatment was too painful to continue. I have tried rubbing the following on it, but to no avail; petroleum jelly, shea butter with oatmeal in lotion form, vitamin E, and Derma-E scar gel. It appears that I am wasting money. If there is a way to shrink, lighten or even do away with this keloid, without endangering my artificial heart valve, I would like to know what it is.