Keloid - Causes

What caused your keloid(s)?

Please select the black square:

What is the cause of keloids?

Doctors do not understand exactly why keloids form in certain people or situations and not in others. Changes in the cellular signals that control growth and proliferation may be related to the process of keloid formation, but these changes have not yet been characterized scientifically.

Return to Keloid

Comment from: MMcG, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I started getting keloids at around 16 on my chest wall. I kept thinking it was normal acne for a few years caused by ingrown hairs and stress, until I got it looked it by a dermatologist, but I've not been given a clear answer as to what it was or even any real options. It seems over the next few years my over consumption of sugary drinks (Mountain Dew) and poor diet have contributed to the growth, size and quantity of me keloids. I am also the only one in my family to suffer from this problem and wonder about my kids in the near future if they would get it.

Comment from: Anujwa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I have keloids all over my body, especially on my legs and on my right shoulder. These developed over the years from my childhood to adult following sores or accidental cuts or abrasions. The one on my shoulder is due to injection when I was hospitalized in my teen years. Most painful and stressful one is on my chest caused by acne scar. I had it surgically removed, followed by doses of irradiation in 2011. But it has returned with a vengeance. It has grown twice its original size and growing. Now its dimensions are 60 mm X 110 mm (on my chest right between my nipples). It is now extremely sensitive to touch, very itchy and bleeds from its periphery due to internal pressure of collagen build up.