Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

What are the causes of blood in urine?

The causes of gross and microscopic hematuria are similar and may result from bleeding anywhere along the urinary tract. One cannot readily distinguish between blood originating in the kidneys, ureters (the tubes that transport urine from the kidneys to the bladder), bladder, or urethra. Any degree of blood in the urine should be fully evaluated by a physician, even if it resolves spontaneously.

Infection of the urine, (often called a urinary tract infection or UTI) stemming either from the kidneys or bladder, is a common cause of microscopic hematuria. Urine is naturally sterile and should not contain bacteria. Kidney and bladder stones can cause irritation and abrasion of the urinary tract, leading to microscopic or gross hematuria. Trauma affecting any of the components of the urinary tract or the prostate can lead to bloody urine. Hematuria can also be associated with renal (kidney) disease, as well as hematologic disorders involving the body's clotting system. Medications that increase the risk of bleeding, such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), or clopidogrel (Plavix), may also lead to bloody urine. Lastly, cancer anywhere along the urinary tract can present with hematuria.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: bladder, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

On September 21, 2013, it was a hot day, I climbed up a mountain for two/three hours without drinking any water, and discovered blood urine (gross hematuria) when I had a coffee break. Needless to say, I was scared, and went to see my family physician. He ordered: blood work, urine (microscopic) test, ultra sound of bladder, prostate and kidney. Everything came back normal (except prostate enlargement), then he referred me to an urologist for a cystoscopy. However, it took exactly two months to have the cystoscopy done (November 21, 2013). It just took the urologist 30 seconds to go into the bladder and everything was normal (a big relief). My family physician suspected me to have bladder cancer in the first place, due to my age (I am 60), he asked me whether I smoke and dye my hair. It looks like: age, smoke, paints, leather, dyeing are risk factors for bladder cancer. He didn't give me any antibiotic because he said male is less likely to get UTI (urinary tract infection).

Comment from: still kicking, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

After mowing my lawn with a riding mower about 2 months ago, I had a lot of blood in my urine, evidenced by a bright red urine. This lasted for 2 days and finally cleared up. The urine was normal for the next 2 months until I mowed yesterday. There was blood in the urine again! I suspect possible tumor(s) in the bladder as I also have trouble urinating at times or feel the need to urinate, going several times at night. Prostate has been cleared as a problem. The urologist is going to do a cystogram next month, so I'll learn more then.