Blood in Urine - Causes

What was the cause of blood in your urine?

What are the causes of blood in urine?

The causes of gross and microscopic hematuria are similar and may result from bleeding anywhere along the urinary tract. One cannot readily distinguish between blood originating in the kidneys, ureters (the tubes that transport urine from the kidneys to the bladder), bladder, or urethra. Any degree of blood in the urine should be fully evaluated by a physician, even if it resolves spontaneously.

Infection of the urine, (often called a urinary tract infection or UTI) stemming either from the kidneys or bladder, is a common cause of microscopic hematuria. Urine is naturally sterile and should not contain bacteria. Kidney and bladder stones can cause irritation and abrasion of the urinary tract, leading to microscopic or gross hematuria. Trauma affecting any of the components of the urinary tract or the prostate can lead to bloody urine. Hematuria can also be associated with renal (kidney) disease, as well as hematologic disorders involving the body's clotting system. Medications that increase the risk of bleeding, such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), or clopidogrel (Plavix), may also lead to bloody urine. Lastly, cancer anywhere along the urinary tract can present with hematuria.

Return to Blood in Urine

Comment from: Fasterthanever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I found blood in my urine this morning when I went to the restroom. The second and third episodes got lighter, the fourth episode it almost disappeared. And I don't see blood in urine any more. I did kind of feel a tiny bit light headed, at least half of the day. Other than that I don't feel anything else. I do work out 2 to 3 times a week, mostly twice a week; kind of heavyweight lifting. I've been doing this for close to 30 years. I wonder if working out has anything to do with it. To name a few, dumbbell bench press at 90 pounds, shoulder press 60 pounds dumbbell, the squats and dead lifts are much, much lighter weights, free weights.

Comment from: beeran, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I have recurrent kidney stones. Most of the time it gets out urinated. For one I had a lithotripsy. Now in the test I have noticed RBC 4-8 in the urine for the last 20 days and the prostate is slightly enlarged. Doctor prescribed tamsulosin 0.4 mg tablet. Till now there is blood in urine.