Eustachian Tube Problems - Treatments

How was your Eustachian tube problem treated?

Please select the white circle:

How is Eustachian tube blockage treated?

Several maneuvers may be done to improve Eustachian tube function and thus aid in equalization of air pressure.

• The simple act of swallowing activates the muscles in the back of the throat that help open the Eustachian tube. Any activity that promotes swallowing can help open the Eustachian tube, for example, chewing gum, drinking, or eating.
  • Yawning is even more effective because it is a stronger muscle activator.
  • If the ears still feel full, the person can try to forcibly open the Eustachian tube by taking a deep breath and blowing while pinching your nostrils and closing the mouth. When a "pop" is felt, you know you have succeeded. If problems persist despite trying to forcibly open the tubes you may need to seek medical attention. If you feel dizzy performing this maneuver, then stop and discuss this with your doctor.
  • If you have a cold, sinus infection, ear infection, or suffering from allergies, it may be advisable to postpone air travel.
  • Similarly, individuals with Eustachian tube problems may find such sports as scuba diving painful, and in some situations quite dangerous.
  • Babies traveling on airplanes cannot intentionally pop their ears, but may do so if they are sucking on a bottle or pacifier. Crying, similar in function to yawning, will also enable equalization of air pressure.

Many individuals who travel with Eustachian tube problems use a decongestant pill or nasal spray an hour prior to takeoff, and if necessary, prior to descent. The decongestant acts to shrink the membranes lining the nose and throat, allowing the ears to equalize more easily. Similarly, patients experiencing chronic daily problems with Eustachian tube dysfunction can benefit by aggressive control of allergies (with antihistamines, decongestants, and prescription nasal sprays). Allergy evaluation can be helpful. In severe situations, a "pressure equalization tube" (PET) can be surgically placed in the eardrum, replacing the role of a functioning Eustachian tube, and thus guaranteeing equalization of middle ear pressure.

Return to Eustachian Tube Problems (Problems Clearing Your Ears)

Comment from: Toya Bishop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a bad cold, a congested and runny nose. I went to the doctor last Sunday. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, and some congestion cough syrup. Well, I took all the medicines for 7 days. I found myself back at the doctor yesterday because my ears were clogged, it felt like I had been on an airplane or swimming. I was hearing ringing noises that no one else would hear. So this time I went back to the doctor and he gave me a steroid shot and prescribed me Wal-Phed D. And he told me to pinch my noise and breathe; that helped too. It was a little painful for me as my ears popped, but it did cause some relief. I feel a lot better today. My hearing is not all the way yet, but it is much better than it was all last week. I thought I was losing my hearing.

Comment from: always hurting, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been dealing with painful clogged tubes for 4 years resulting from a serious sinus infection. I had seen an audiologist, ENT and my family doctor multiple times over the years with testing showing everything is fine. One day I mentioned this to my chiropractor and he said my eustachian tubes were blocked. He applied a hot pack to my sinus areas with my head gently tilted backwards. After 10 minutes with the hot pack he applied pressure (which was very painful due to the inflammation) and he massaged all the sinus areas. The next day I felt wonderful. The pressure is beginning to build again so I am going to see the chiropractor again. It is a much better approach than taking drugs that cover up the problem.