Folliculitis - Diagnosis

How was your folliculitis diagnosed?

Please select the black triangle:

How is folliculitis diagnosed?

The diagnosis of folliculitis is generally based on the appearance of the skin. In some situations, a microbial culture of the pus will help to detect a bacterial cause. It may be necessary to pull out some of the affected hairs and examine these microscopically using potassium hydroxide in order to detect fungal infections. Occasionally, a small skin biopsy may be used to help the doctor confirm the diagnosis. Infectious causes include bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites. Usually, no specific blood tests are needed in the diagnosis of common folliculitis.

Return to Folliculitis

Comment from: Argh!!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Help. I have been dealing with folliculitis for 3 years now. Every month like clockwork. I have gone to several Kaiser derm docs. not even a culture. Finally, I had my regular doctor do a culture and he said I have staph infection now. Help. Will removing the hair via laser removal help. It has spread from my neck, face, back, arms, legs, buttocks and now stomach. I am in a constant state of scab. Will hair removal even help. This is debilitation.

Comment from: mommy_03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had my 3rd child about nine years ago, and one day I seen that I had a red bump on my tummy. So called the doctor and made an appointment to see her, so told me I had Folliculitis which I didn't know what the hell was talking about. So she told me to use this soap and I'll be fine, but guess what it came back. So the next step was pills and it never worked either. I wish they could find something to help because it's nasty and if you even try to pop it hurts like hell.

Stay Informed!