Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Please select the white circle:

Is there pain associated with getting a root canal?

Usually, people will say that a root canal doesn't hurt any more than getting a simple filling, and they should be able to return to their normal activities immediately. Since a person needing a root canal is often already in extreme pain, the root canal treatment actually provides relief from pain and recovery is very minimal. When the anesthesia wears off, the gums around the tooth will be sore from the rubber dam clamp, and it may feel a little sore when chewing with that tooth -- especially if the tooth was abscessed prior to treatment. Even though the nerve is no longer inside the tooth, there are still nerve endings around the outside of the tooth that may be inflamed as a result of an abscess or the root canal treatment itself. It is best to try chewing on the opposite side of the mouth for a few days following the root canal to give the bone and tissues around the tooth time to calm down.

Any pain or discomfort can be controlled by taking ibuprofen (Advil) or another over-the-counter pain medication when appropriate. Ibuprofen should not be used by people taking certain blood thinners or those with kidney disease or stomach ulcers. A person who is experiencing extreme pain following a root canal that isn't getting better after a few days should return to the treating dentist immediately for further evaluation.

Return to Root Canal

Comment from: Jmar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

After feeling pain in my back molar for about two days I immediately sought dental assistance. I had my first root canal done today. After three shots in my gums in the area where the tooth was, I was numb to the world. I put on my headphones and listened to music as instructed by the dental assistant. After about 1 hour of drilling and tugging I was done! I had no pain during the procedure whatsoever. Afterward the assistant gave me two 400 mg ibuprofen to take before the numbing wore off. I did feel a tad sore for maybe 20 minutes after the procedure. After that the ibuprofen had kicked in, the numbness wore off and I haven't taken any medicines since. I feel awesome! I went to an endodontist's office and the dentist told me it was a great call to not have waited around and I advise anyone with tooth problems to go fast! Save your tooth and avoid a painful experience. The doctor was also very pleasant, as well as his staff. Great experience!

Comment from: Me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I just had a root canal done and it was very painful whatever they did after taking the nerve out. It was very painful and even now after three days it hurts. I am taking painkillers every 6 to 8 hours, and antibiotics. I went to my dentist in pain at first thinking it was just that my filling needed to be done again and they said I needed a root canal. After starting the process they gave me the bill of about 1700 which doesn't include the post (475) and the crown 1100. I have insurance but they said they don't pay out that much. I'm up at 4 am now in pain. I feel like getting the tooth pulled. This was a bad experience for me. I cannot afford this bill and still in pain.