Brain Aneurysm - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your brain aneurysm?

What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?

The headache associated with a leaking aneurysm is severe. Blood is very irritating to the brain and causes significant pain. Patients may describe the "worst headache of their life," and the health care practitioner needs to have an appreciation that a brain aneurysm may be the potential cause of this type of pain. The headache may be associated with nausea, vomiting, and change in vision. A subarachnoid hemorrhage also causes pain and stiffness of the neck. However, the "worst headache of their life" complaint needs to be matched with physical findings to be considered a risk factor for a leaking aneurysm.

Return to Aneurysm (Brain)

Comment from: Garth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

The symptoms of my brain aneurysm started right after I went to the dentist. My neck was bothering me. I am very healthy at age 54, but that week I just thought it was my neck. The following weekend, Mother"s Day, I was getting dressed for work, my husband said I was screaming 'my head, my head', then I lay down, crawled to the bathroom and vomited. He called the ambulance, since I had passed out on the floor, and I do not remember anything for the next 2 months. It"s all a blank. I am laughing reading my transcripts when the doctors say they consulted me and my husband, I had no clue what was going on. A year later, I don"t like the new me, my balance is off, my left eye is giving me problems, I have stopped smoking. My doctor said smoking is what did it. Anyone out there reading this, please quit!

Comment from: Dianne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I came home from work after a normal day and went to the shop. I heard a loud bang, I thought there had been a car crash. Next I had a pain in my head, it was like a red hot poker; and then my legs wouldn"t work. I sat down in the shop and they got me a drink. I wouldn"t have ambulance, I managed to get home and went straight to the doctor's. My blood pressure was normal, everything normal, I kept saying to my doctor there was something wrong. Finally he sent me for a brain scan and I had an aneurism. I had it coiled and have been fine. I still go for scans but fingers crossed I am very lucky.