Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation (AFib)?

Many patients with atrial fibrillation have no symptoms and are unaware of the abnormal heart rhythm. The most common symptom of AFib is palpitations, an uncomfortable awareness of the rapid and irregular heartbeat. Other symptoms of AFib are caused by the diminished delivery of blood to the body. These symptoms include:

• dizziness,
  • fainting,
  • weakness,
  • fatigue,
  • shortness of breath, and
  • angina (chest pain due to reduced blood flow to the heart muscles).
Return to Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)

Comment from: Stretch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

With atrial fibrillation I had transient ischemic attack (TIA) with global amnesia. Fortunately my husband was with me, and could identify the behavior to my doctor.

Comment from: Manon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My atrial fibrillation started with a feeling of indigestion, a fullness in my throat and feeling shaky all over. It passed quickly. I felt bad the next day and went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with a virus. A few days later I read the symptoms of heart attack in women, got nervous and went to the emergency room thinking I may have had a silent heart attack. I didn't, they did an EKG, but I had atrial fibrillation. I was admitted and they tried to convert with medication but because I tend to have low blood pressure, it didn't work. After a few days I was transferred to a larger hospital and they did an electrical cardioconversion. It took less than 30 minutes. I went home the next morning. So far I have not had it happen again. I take metoprolol and Eliquis.