Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your atrial fibrillation?

What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation?

Many patients with atrial fibrillation have no symptoms and are unaware of the abnormal heart rhythm. The most common symptom of atrial fibrillation is palpitations, an uncomfortable awareness of the rapid and irregular heartbeat. Other symptoms of atrial fibrillation are caused by the diminished delivery of blood to the body. These symptoms include:

• dizziness,
  • fainting,
  • weakness,
  • fatigue,
  • shortness of breath, and
  • angina (chest pain due to reduced blood flow to the heart muscles).
Return to Atrial Fibrillation

Comment from: joby, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 25 year old male. I've had atrial fibrillation twice. Once 4 years ago after electrocuting myself doing some home wiring and once last month after a night out at the bar. Both times the symptoms were the same. A feeling of almost like your stomach churning only higher in your chest along with numbness and tingling of my extremities and ears. This past time it took 5 cardioversions for my heart to go back in rhythm, during two of which I was conscious. I do not wish this condition on anyone, it is pretty scary.

Comment from: Stretch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

With atrial fibrillation I had transient ischemic attack (TIA) with global amnesia. Fortunately my husband was with me, and could identify the behavior to my doctor.