Vitiligo - Diagnosis

How was your vitiligo diagnosed?

Please select the black square:

How is vitiligo diagnosed?

The doctor will use a family and medical history, physical exam, and tests to diagnose vitiligo. The doctor may ask questions such as:

• Do you have family members with vitiligo?
  • Do you or family members have any autoimmune diseases?
  • Did you have a rash, sunburn, or other skin problem before the white patches appeared?
  • Did you have some type of stress or physical illness?
  • Did your hair turn gray before age 35?
  • Are you sensitive to the sun?

The doctor will do a physical exam to rule out other medical problems.

Tests might include:

• Taking a small sample (biopsy) of the affected skin to be examined
  • Blood tests
  • An eye exam.
Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: Amit K. D., 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

I have been suffering right side testicular pain. It first started in 2010. I had visited the hospital. In examination of color Doppler (USG) of testis there was no problem. The report was normal. They advised not to ride motor cycle with two riders. Since then there was no problem till February 2016. But now the pain has returned. I have visited a surgeon, and he has given me only light dose pain killer. He examined physically and told me that there is no swelling or any other problem. The eosinophil, cholesterol, urine culture, and sugar reports are normal. But sometime the pain is going on basically at night.

Comment from: Diane, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I am 46, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in 2014. My main symptoms were extreme tiredness, weight gain, brain fog, depression, difficulty concentrating or having any real interest in anything, tinnitus, feeling cold, vitiligo, hair loss and withdrawal from social activity, patches of dry skin, pressure behind eyes, itchy and sensitive skin around eyes, worsening vision, dizziness, itchy arms and legs, water retention, aches and pains. I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and am now on 125 mcg. I don't feel much better, I am hoping my last increase of levothyroxine helps and I have also started to supplement iron, B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and magnesium. Apparently it is important to get all nutrient levels up in order to get the best from the thyroid medications. I am moody, impatient and constantly tired, cold and hungry. I do have hope as I know some people feel better once they have started to look after their diet, etc. I have cut right down on gluten and the bloating has improved, I now have to watch the goitrogenic foods and aim to cut down on dairy. It is a total lifestyle change, and a much lesser life to be honest. I cry on a regular basis for no real reason and eat like an elephant. I have gained 3 and a half stone. When I get a bit of energy I may look into natural thyroid hormone replacement but at the moment there is so much information to take in so slowly does it.