Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

What are the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis?

The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is difficulty in swallowing solid food (dysphagia). Specifically, the food becomes stuck in the esophagus after it is swallowed. Less common symptoms include heartburn and chest pain. In children, the most common symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, coughing, and failure to thrive.

Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: Dancer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had the first symptoms as a teen. I could not swallow pills and would occasionally choke on solid foods. It progressed to frequent choking on solid foods, especially meat. Then it progressed to even choking on pasta, rice, soft solid foods and I had frequent sore throats. Primary care at that time told me there was no issue, until I could not swallow liquids. Finally at a walk-in visit, I had endoscopy scheduled and was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis and I had a Savary dilation and was put on Flovent for 2 weeks. I was ok until last few months without additional treatment. Now I am starting to get solids stuck again as it used to several years back.

Comment from: taylor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

My eosinophilic esophagitis started when I was having dinner with my family in 2011 and I choked on a piece of steak. Since then, I noticed that I was having trouble swallowing certain foods such as angel hair pasta and tough meat. It would happen only when I ate those certain foods so I thought nothing of it. It was not until February of this year that I noticed that it was starting to get worse. I started to choke on smaller foods such as rice and cheese. It got worse fast from September to November. It wasn't until I choked on water that I decided that it was time to get this checked out. Right away, my doctor knew what I had and he scheduled me for an endoscopy for two days later, November 14. My esophagus was so small that my doctor couldn't get the tube down all the way and had to force it, which alone dilated my esophagus a little. He stopped there so he didn't put me in danger. For the next two days, I ate only pudding and ice cream. I had a lot of pain in my throat and upper gastric area, but that lasted only two days and was normal. I have not choked since. But I still need to get it dilated the rest of the way. I still have a long way to go.

Stay Informed!