Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with eosinophilic esophagitis?

What are the symptoms of eosinophilic esophagitis?

The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is difficulty in swallowing solid food (dysphagia). Specifically, the food becomes stuck in the esophagus after it is swallowed. Less common symptoms include heartburn and chest pain. In children, the most common symptoms are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, coughing, and failure to thrive.

Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: zinny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 62 year old female. As long as I can remember I have had an issue with food getting stuck, but not very often, maybe once a year. Several years ago it began to happen more frequently and with soft foods. At a regularly scheduled colonoscopy, my gastroenterologist also performed an EGD and found a stricture (which he stretched) and eosinophilic esophagitis. Treatment included Prilosec (every day for the rest of my life) and some thick sticky medicine that I was supposed to fill a syringe with and inject into the back of my throat. I did that 2 or 3 times. Each time it would send me into a coughing, choking fit, so I stopped it. It has been 2 years since my scope and I have not had a problem since. However, reading others' experiences with this disease makes me wonder if I have a gluten allergy. I have experienced diarrhea, gas, stomach cramps, eczema, and severe hay fever all my life. If eliminating gluten would help even a little bit, I am willing to try! Good luck to all.

Comment from: Dee, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My son, now 16, was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EOE) 3 years ago. He had been a slow eater for several years, but began having trouble swallowing, began throwing up during soccer games (even when in very good shape), and began having stomach cramps. He was diagnosed with EOE and a small stomach ulcer after an endoscopy. He has a very small appetite for a 16 year old. Standard allergy test is clear. He is being treated with swallowed Flovent and Prilosec OTC (3 years now). Eosinophils are down to 11. He is better, but the nausea can be horrid during athletics. We have found acupuncture to be a huge help to return appetite and keep the nausea down. The nausea is definitely worse during the heat.