Roseola - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?

Please select the black triangle:

What are roseola symptoms and signs?

The signs and symptoms of HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection vary depending upon the age of the patient. Infants and toddlers routinely will develop sudden symptoms with a sudden onset of a high fever that lasts for three to five days, irritability, bulging "soft spot" on the head (fontanel), swollen glands in the front or back of the neck, runny nose, puffy eyelids (due to swelling with fluid), and mild diarrhea. Within 12-24 hours of the fever breaking, a rash rapidly appears. Older children who develop HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection are more likely to have an illness characterized by several days of high fever and possibly a runny nose and/or diarrhea. Older children less commonly develop a rash as the fever abates.

Return to Roseola

Comment from: Buttercup2010, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My 1-year-old daughter currently is suffering from roseola. She had been diagnosed with double ear infections just last week at her 1-year checkup and was placed on amoxicillin. She has not had a fever but did not want to eat. She drank lots of fluids and never acted as if she was ill. She did want to be held all the time and would only sleep if she was in my bed. I am not a believer in kids sleeping with the parents, but she was sick, so I allowed her to sleep with me until she was out cold. I noticed that she had three small bumps on her tummy, and then they went away that night. But the next morning, she had a huge rash all over her back. I freaked out, talked to my sister who is nurse practitioner, and she said that it sounded like roseola. I was OK until the next morning when it was on her tummy, neck, parts of her arms and legs and face. Then I really lost it. Took her to urgent care and the nurse had no idea what it was. So I took her back to see my sister, and she told me to calm down: She said it was, in fact, roseola. I have started using Witch Hazel to clean the rash and put Cortisone on it. That seems to calm her down and make her feel a little better.

Comment from: nolanmommy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son had roseola, and my immune system is bad so I got it too. My symptoms are a week-long low fever (so far), body aches, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme fatigue. My baby just broke the fever and got the telltale rash, and I"m really hoping that will happen for me soon.

Stay Informed!