Roseola - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?

Please select the white circle:

What are roseola symptoms and signs?

The signs and symptoms of HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection vary depending upon the age of the patient. Infants and toddlers routinely will develop sudden symptoms with a sudden onset of a high fever that lasts for three to five days. The child may also develop irritability, bulging "soft spot" on the head (fontanel), swollen glands in the front or back of the neck, runny nose, puffy eyelids (due to swelling with fluid), and mild diarrhea. Within 12-24 hours of the fever breaking, a rash rapidly appears. Older children who develop HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection are more likely to have an illness characterized by several days of high fever and possibly a runny nose and/or diarrhea. Older children less commonly develop a rash as the fever abates.

Return to Roseola

Comment from: cutebah96, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My experience with roseola was frightening. My grand baby's fever spiked to 105.9. I thought she would start seizures or her brain would cook. I have never seen anything like it. The doctors told me exactly how it would go and they were right. Fevers lasted 4 days, when they stop at 4 days the rash starts and last 4 days as of now we are on day 3 of the rash. On top of the fever I was scared of dehydration. I couldn't get her to eat or drink anything not even a popsicle. She is 17 months old and during all the tests they did on her we learned she has an enlarged heart. Now I have to take her to children's hospital cardiology tomorrow.

Comment from: nolanmommy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son had roseola, and my immune system is bad so I got it too. My symptoms are a week-long low fever (so far), body aches, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme fatigue. My baby just broke the fever and got the telltale rash, and I"m really hoping that will happen for me soon.