Roseola - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?

What are roseola symptoms and signs?

The signs and symptoms of HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection vary depending upon the age of the patient. Infants and toddlers routinely develop sudden symptoms with a sudden onset of a high fever that lasts for three to five days. The child may also develop irritability, swollen glands in the front or back of the neck, runny nose, puffy eyelids (due to swelling with fluid), and mild diarrhea. Within 12-24 hours of the fever breaking, a rash rapidly appears. Older children who develop HHV-6 (or HHV-7) infection are more likely to have an illness characterized by several days of high fever and possibly a runny nose and/or diarrhea. Older children less commonly develop a rash as the fever abates.

Return to Roseola

Comment from: Madkat1000, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My daughter was just diagnosed with roseola today. It started off like a cold, I took her to the doctor and they said she had double pneumonia and a mid-ear infection. I brought her back a couple of days later because of a prolonged consistent high fever of 102 to 103 F. As her fever went away, a rash started to break out, starting on her chest, and spread to her back and face.

Comment from: Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

MY 8 month old had three days of fever which started with an emergency room (ER) visit for a fever of 104.3. I was sent home with an antibiotic and a diagnosis of ear infection/teething which may have been possible but I doubted. Doctor could not see in the ear canal due to wax and didn't seem 100 percent; it was infected but gave antibiotic anyway. The fever spiked to as high as 106.1, yes, 106.1 not 100.6 as the doctor said it must have been. The ER was slow to react when she was again admitted with a fever of 104.3. Within an hour it was 105.6 and they finally reacted. We were transferred to an awesome children's hospital who immediately noted swollen lymph nodes on the back of her skull (a classic symptom that I couldn't feel myself) and neck. They alternated Motrin and Tylenol until the fever broke after three days. I am waiting for the rash. Her fever spiked uncontrollably even 30 minutes after taking Motrin, she went from 104.8 to 105.8 within minutes. Check temperature rectally every 30 minutes and trust your instinct.