Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for restless leg syndrome?

Treatment of restless leg syndrome is first directed toward any underlying illness, if known. For example:

• Blood testing to reveal underlying iron deficiency anemia may reveal the underlying cause.
  • If varicose veins are thought to be the cause, then surgery to repair the circulation may be considered.
  • Reduction or elimination ofcaffeine, nicotine, and alcohol from a person's diet can be very helpful.
  • Stopping smoking can significantly diminish or prevent symptoms.
  • Getting better sleep and exercise can help some persons affected by restless legs.
  • Pregnant women who do not sleep well at night and other people with sleep disorders may develop RLS.
Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: SusieQ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

If you are a woman and about menopause age, progesterone cream rubbed into your shins may help with your restless leg syndrome. It works for me every time. I'm better within 10 minutes. You can buy it over the counter or ask your doctor for a prescription. I started having restless legs at about 46 (peri-menopause age) and still occasionally have it at 51. (I tried all kinds of vitamins and supplements, antidepressant, gabapentin, and I walk 3 miles nearly every day, but it did not help.) It was a hormone thing for me. Good luck!

Comment from: Len, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am 55 and use Carbilev 25 mg 30 minutes before I go to bed at night and it works for my restless leg syndrome. Without it I cannot sleep.