Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for restless leg syndrome?

Treatment of restless leg syndrome is first directed toward any underlying illness, if known. For example:

• Blood testing to reveal underlying iron deficiency anemia may reveal the underlying cause.
  • If varicose veins are thought to be the cause, then surgery to repair the circulation may be considered.
  • Reduction or elimination ofcaffeine, nicotine, and alcohol from a person's diet can be very helpful.
  • Stopping smoking can significantly diminish or prevent symptoms.
  • Getting better sleep and exercise can help some persons affected by restless legs.
  • Pregnant women who do not sleep well at night and other people with sleep disorders may develop RLS.
Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Mazie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been suffering with restless leg syndrome (RLS) for over 3 years. When a friend who has an autistic child was visiting me, she suggested lending me her child's weighted blanket to try on my leg at night. Reluctantly I accepted her offer. When I placed the blanket on my leg, within minutes, I had relief. Now I own a small weighted blanket and it does the trick every time.

Comment from: Vivianne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have had restless leg syndrome for years and the only thing that has ever help me stop it when it starts is to wash my legs with a cold water face cloth. It seem to change the body temperature and then I fall asleep instantly thereafter and sleep all night long. It works well. Best of luck.