Restless Leg Syndrome - Treatments

What method did you find most effective in treating your restless leg syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for restless leg syndrome?

Treatment of restless leg syndrome is first directed toward any underlying illness, if known. For example:

• Blood testing to reveal underlying iron deficiency anemia may reveal the underlying cause.
  • If varicose veins are thought to be the cause, then surgery to repair the circulation may be considered.
  • Reduction or elimination of caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol from a person's diet can be very helpful.
  • Stopping smoking can significantly diminish or prevent symptoms.
  • Getting better sleep and exercise can help some persons affected by restless legs.
  • Pregnant women who do not sleep well at night and other people with sleep disorders may develop RLS.
Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Lyndyloo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I started with restless legs in my early 40s and at first it only occurred about the time of my periods but with menopause it became worse. I used to sleep eventually with ice blocks under my calves. I was given ropinirole by a locum doctor at our practice and I haven't looked back since. It was a lifesaver!

Comment from: Flora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a RLS (restless leg syndrome) sufferer for many years now. I was so frustrated and tired all the time. I often felt like my general physician won't really believe me when I spoke to him about my condition. About 2 years ago i got injured in my right shoulder, my specialists prescribed me some oxycodone for the pain. Yes, I know that it is a narcotic but it has been the only medicine that has helped me. I only take one pill of 10mg before bedtime and I sleep like a baby with no morning drowsiness. I had previously tried taking magnesium and B12 and more iron supplements but to no relief. I also tried Mirapex and baclofen but it did nothing. I also don't drink coffee nor smoke. Needless to say that I also have RLS during the day but tolerate it with constant movement as I work. When I go to bed it is at its worse. I know that taking narcotics is not the right route but it is the only thing that has worked for me.

Stay Informed!