Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Please select the white circle:

How is mitral valve prolapse diagnosed and evaluated?

Examination of the patient reveals characteristic findings unique to mitral valve prolapse. Using a stethoscope, a clicking sound is heard soon after the ventricle begins to contract. This clicking is felt to reflect tightening of the abnormal valve leaflets against the pressure load of the left ventricle. If there is associated leakage (regurgitation) of blood through the abnormal valve opening, a "whooshing" sound (murmur) can be heard immediately following the clicking sound.

Echocardiography (ultrasound imaging of the heart) is the most useful test for mitral valve prolapse. Echocardiography can measure the severity of prolapse and the degree of mitral regurgitation. It can also detect areas of infection on the abnormal valves. Valve infection is called endocarditis and is a very rare, but potentially serious complication of mitral valve prolapse. Echocardiography can also evaluate the effect of prolapse and regurgitation on the functioning of the muscles of the ventricles.

Abnormally rapid or irregular heart rhythms can occur in patients with mitral valve prolapse, causing palpitations. A 24-hour Holter monitor is a device that takes a continuous recording of the patient's heart rhythm as the patient carries on his/her daily activities. Abnormal rhythms occurring during the test period are captured and analyzed at a later date. If abnormal rhythms do not occur every day, the Holter recording may fail to capture the abnormal rhythms. These patients then can be fitted with a small "event-recorder" to be worn for up to several weeks. When the patient senses a palpitation, an event button can be pressed to record the heart rhythm prior to, during, and after the palpitations.

Return to Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP)

Comment from: Birdlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Tuesday, October 27 I was given a flu shot at 11:30 and that night I vomited, had diarrhea, chills and fever. There was swelling and redness at and around the injection site and it got progressively worse. By Saturday 31, 50 percent of my upper arm was swollen and red with a 3 inch diameter patch of blisters at the injection site. My doctor's office is closed on weekends but I was able to get help at a walk-in clinic. Now I'm seriously wondering if I may have been given a tetanus shot by mistake. I had similar reactions when given a TDAP shot 3 years ago. I have felt exhausted in addition.

Comment from: novascotiagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had sciatica over the years but worse this year than ever before. Mine is not caused by a disc or back issue but due to the muscle that runs deep in the behind; so I am told. The pain was excruciating. I took naproxen and Tylenol and got some relief. Occasionally I took an anti-anxiety pill as it relaxes muscles and I had spasms at times in the muscles that would almost cause me to fall. I had severe pain and a feeling that that my leg was being hit with a hammer causing sudden loss of balance. I went to see the doctor and she prescribed gabapentin 100 mg to take 3 times a day. And I could increase to 200 mg in 4 days if it didn't work. I took one and it was like a miracle. Pain stopped, I slept soundly all night and in any position; I was so tired of sleeping fitfully on my back! Now I take naproxen as well and the two seem to do the trick. The doctor felt that this might be only a short episode and I should be able to function without medication in 3 to 4 weeks. I am told this medication is dangerous with bad side effects but so far I am only a bit drowsy and hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones as it is making my life so much better.