Neck Pain - Causes

What caused your neck pain?

What is neck pain? What are causes and risk factors for neck pain?

Pain located in the neck is a common medical condition. Neck pain can come from a number of disorders and diseases of any tissues in the neck. Examples of common conditions producing neck pain are degenerative disc disease, neck strain, neck injury such as in whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve. Neck pain can come from common infections, such as virus infection of the throat, leading to lymph gland swelling and neck pain. Neck pain can also come from rare infections, such as tuberculosis of the neck and bone infection of the spine in the neck (osteomyelitis and septic discitis), and meningitis (often accompanied by neck stiffness). Neck pain can also come from conditions directly affecting the muscles of the neck, such as fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica. Neck pain is also referred to as cervical pain.

Risk factors for neck pain include injury from involvement in contact sports, motor vehicle accidents, bull or bronco horse riding, etc. Prevention of neck pain in the context of these activities should include neck strengthening exercises and often neck bracing.

Return to Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)

Comment from: Matt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am a healthy with perfect annual physicals. I had some wrist arthritis and I had a neck operation for bulging discs C 5-6-7, 3 years ago in January, and bone graft. The pain before the operation was 7 to 8 out of 10. I had steroid injections before and after that eased the pain for a few months. The operating doctor said I would be playing golf in about two months after the operation; not true. The first two years and after my neck pain was 5 to 7 with headaches and dizziness and any exercise took it to a 7. Therapy made the pain worse for days. I have had a second opinion and MRIs; perfect. I take a pill to sleep and hydrocodone, limited dose. I discovered very mild limited neck exercises have helped. This episode has made me weak and exhausted daily. Lack of exercise has weakened my legs.

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

An accident 5 years ago, an attic ladder coming down on my head, was the cause of my neck pain. Medications over the years just make me feel spaced out desperate. The doctors blame stress on everything these days, agreed stress does not help, but I know my neck is getting worse. Now don"t want to go to the doctor, I don"t feel I am getting anywhere.

Stay Informed!