Neck Pain - Causes

What caused your neck pain?

Please select the black square:

What is neck pain? What are causes and risk factors for neck pain?

Pain located in the neck is a common medical condition. Neck pain can come from a number of disorders and diseases of any tissues in the neck. Examples of common conditions producing neck pain are degenerative disc disease, neck strain, neck injury such as in whiplash, a herniated disc, or a pinched nerve. Neck pain can come from common infections, such as virus infection of the throat, leading to lymph gland swelling and neck pain. Neck pain can also come from rare infections, such as tuberculosis of the neck and bone infection of the spine in the neck (osteomyelitis and septic discitis), and meningitis (often accompanied by neck stiffness). Neck pain can also come from conditions directly affecting the muscles of the neck, such as fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica. Neck pain is also referred to as cervical pain.

Risk factors for neck pain include injury from involvement in contact sports, motor vehicle accidents, bull or bronco horse riding, etc. Prevention of neck pain in the context of these activities should include neck strengthening exercises and often neck bracing.

Return to Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)

Comment from: Kibble 13, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was in a car accident and ever since, my neck has been bothering me on and off. I've had two physical therapies and acupuncture. I noticed some improvement with physical therapy but very minimal. I am a teacher, so in the summer breaks I noticed I didn't have neck pains. I'm thinking my neck pain has a lot to do with stress so I am considering a career change.

Comment from: Payal, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had 2 Bartholin's cysts on my left gland and twice had a marsupialization performed, still it tends to reoccur once or twice in a year. Now I am kind of used to it, hence I have accepted it as one of my parts. The best medicine is taking Citralka, it can be also taken during pregnancy. I started draining within 24 hours. So for all those for immediate results it is a must.