Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Please select the black triangle:

What are food allergy symptoms and signs?

The complex process of digestion affects the timing, location, and particular symptoms of an allergic reaction to food. All of the symptoms of food allergy occur within a few minutes to an hour of eating. A food allergy can initially be experienced as an itching in the mouth and difficulty swallowing and breathing. Then, during digestion of the food in the stomach and intestines, symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain can start. Incidentally, the gastrointestinal symptoms of food allergy are those that are most often confused with the symptoms of different types of food intolerance.

As mentioned previously, the allergens are absorbed and enter the bloodstream. When they reach the skin, allergens can induce hives or eczema, and when they reach the airways, they can cause asthma. As the allergens travel through the blood vessels, they can cause lightheadedness, weakness, and anaphylaxis, which is a sudden drop in blood pressure. Anaphylactic reactions are severe even when they start off with mild symptoms, such as a tingling in the mouth and throat or discomfort in the abdomen. They can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Return to Food Allergy

Comment from: Patspix, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16.

Comment from: Samuel, Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.