Food Allergy - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your food allergy?

What are the symptoms and signs of food allergy?

The complex process of digestion affects the timing, location, and particular symptoms of an allergic reaction to food. All of the symptoms of food allergy occur within a few minutes to an hour of eating. A food allergy can initially be experienced as an itching in the mouth and difficulty swallowing and breathing. Then, during digestion of the food in the stomach and intestines, symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain can start. Incidentally, the gastrointestinal symptoms of food allergy are those that are most often confused with the symptoms of different types of food intolerance.

As mentioned previously, the allergens are absorbed and enter the bloodstream. When they reach the skin, allergens can induce hives or eczema, and when they reach the airways, they can cause asthma. As the allergens travel through the blood vessels, they can cause lightheadedness, weakness, and anaphylaxis, which is a sudden drop in blood pressure. Anaphylactic reactions are severe even when they start off with mild symptoms, such as a tingling in the mouth and throat or discomfort in the abdomen. They can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Return to Food Allergy

Comment from: TiffanyAC, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Symptoms vary depending on the allergen. Some foods have caused anaphylactic reactions, while others have caused severe stomach pain or pressure in the ears.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I am a 49 yr old male. I have experienced food allergies for the past 10 years. I am allergic to certain breads, rice and regular milk (including cheese). I will get a stuffy nose, which interrupts my sleep at night. I take ibuprofen, which helps as an 'anti-inflammatory' to open my sinus passage to breath better for sleeping. I'm alright if I consume these things during mid day, so by night time it will wear off, but I can't later on during dinner. I have been using lactaid milk for eating cereal, which I am able to tolerate.