Warts - Experiences

Please describe your experience with common warts.

What are warts?

Warts are local growths in the skin that are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. There are over 100 types of HPVs. Some HPV types infect the genital and oral mucosa and produce large, unpleasant masses, some of which may become cancerous. Other, HPV types are responsible for common skin warts and are not associated with cancer. Although warts are considered to be contagious, it is not uncommon for just one family member to have them. In addition, they often affect just one part of the body (such as the hands or the feet), but they can be spread to other areas by picking them.

Return to Warts (Common Warts)

Comment from: Duke, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 12

When I was in my twenties, I had a large wart on my heel. A dermatologist put a patch on it for a week and then shaved off the top of the wart. He did this many times, but it didn't work. He then froze it with liquid nitrogen and that didn't work. He then burned it with an electric needle and that didn't work. I saw my family doctor and asked him about the wart. He said dip a tooth pick in nitric acid and touch the wart. You have to put your foot immediately in freezing water to stop the burning. I did this several times and it killed the wart.

Comment from: irishblueileen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have tiny warts primarily on my fingers. They don't seem to grow or change. Sometimes they itch but not frequently. I wish they would go away but they have been there for years.