Warts - Experiences

Please describe your experience with common warts.

What are warts?

Warts are local growths in the skin that are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. There are over 100 types of HPVs. Some HPV types infect the genital tract, producing genital warts and cancers in these areas. Other, different HPV types are responsible for common skin warts and are not associated with cancer. Although warts are considered to be contagious, it is common for just one family member to have them. In addition, they often affect just one part of the body (such as the hands or the feet), but they can be spread to other areas by picking them.

Return to Warts (Common Warts)

Comment from: RM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I used to work with a lot of produce at a grocery store when I was a teenager and I got warts on my hands like they were going out of style. I had a couple of them frozen off and one cut off, but I kept getting them. Someone that I worked with told me to soak my hands in very hot water for at least 10 minutes every day until they were gone, hot as I could stand without actually burning the healthy skin. He said the wart tissue was not as resilient as normal tissue and would die from the heat. I used water that was about 125 degrees (F) for 15 minutes each day just to make sure. I don't really know when the warts were done in but they all started crumbling off after about a week. As long as I worked there and remembered I kept soaking in very hot water and the warts never came back. I don't work with produce any more so I don't get them anymore, but there is no way they all fell off in the same few days. It had to be the hot water.

Comment from: wartmal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a wart on my palm few years ago about half a cm in diameter. It developed from an un-popped blister inflicted by hot oil while cooking. I never properly treated it but was always annoyed by it, sometimes picking out pulps sticking out just for the satisfaction imagining I could pick out the whole colony, which clearly failed. About three months later returning from the beach I realized the wart begins to wilt but quickly grows back again. Assuming it was the salinity of the sea water, I covered the wart with table salt holding it together with a Band-Aid changing the salt and Band-Aid every day. After about 3-4 days, the wart shrunk turned dark. Once again, I picked the wart with the tweezers and the entire layer of wart was pulled out. Aww, the satisfaction! Underneath was pink tender skin like you have underneath the outer transparent skin. I did made an appointment with the doctor but the wart was gone when I went to see him. The wart never came back but the doctor doesn't believe the salt removed it.