Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs

What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?

Please select the white circle:

What are carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms?

People with carpal tunnel syndrome initially feel numbness and tingling of the hand in the distribution of the median nerve (the thumb, index, middle, and thumb side of the ring fingers). These sensations are often more pronounced at night and can awaken people from sleep. The reason symptoms are worse at night may be related to the flexed-wrist sleeping position and/or fluid accumulating around the wrist and hand while lying flat. Carpal tunnel syndrome may be a temporary condition that completely resolves or it can persist and progress.

As the disease progresses, patients can develop a burning sensation, and/or cramping and weakness of the hand. Decreased grip strength can lead to frequent dropping of objects from the hand. Occasionally, sharp shooting pains can be felt in the forearm. Chronic carpal tunnel syndrome can also lead to wasting (atrophy) of the hand muscles, particularly those near the base of the thumb in the palm of the hand.

Return to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Comment from: Ole, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was quite active cross-country skiing and this all came to a halt as my feet and hands ceased to function properly. I was diagnosed with neuropathy and carpal tunnel syndrome. I underwent numerous tests by a neurologist at which time surgery was performed on my wrists with some success. It's been 4 months since my last surgery and the area between my right thumb and first finger are still numb (poor grip). The left hand is still quite numb with pain although all my fingers and thumb are able to form a fist. I'm unable to grasp items without the fear of dropping them. My "pinky" does not react with the other fingers. (ex. sliding hand into a glove).

Comment from: ejubara, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

This information has greatly helped me to determine the exact medical situation with the feelings of numbness and tingling sensation around my right hand, now I can go to see a doctor with peace of mind. Thank you for this rewarding exercise.